weak clutch?

I have a 86 non-turbo 944 right now with only 108k. I have three questions I hope you can help me with.

1) Is my clutch getting weak, or do 944s seem to like to be started at 2000 RPM or more (in first gear) for a smoother get away, otherwise it feels like it kind of stumbles or something.

2) Is it normal for the n/a 944 not to have much acceleration urge under

3000 rpm? Above 4000 rpm my engine takes off, but until that point, especially in the first two or three gears, it doesn't feel like it has much juice.

3) Recently the car has started making this hissing type sound at idle. I can't think of anything to relate it to, but its just like a hissing sound that comes and last for about 2 or 3 seconds and then goes away. Only happens after I give it some gas and then let the revs settle back down to idle, if it's just been sitting with no gas given it won't make the sound.

Thanks for your help!!!

Reply to
Dan Saba

Weak is not really a good description, a better description would be geared differently. The 944 is not geared to be quick off of the line, it is geared to perform at higher speeds. As you have probably noticed you get a nice long acceleration curve in 3rd 4th and 5th (which is not an overdrive.) In my experience, I have gotten Nissan Maximas, Mitsubishi Eclipses and other higher HP sedans as rentals and have found they jump off of the line, but at

70MPH and 80MPH they are pretty flat, pretty slow, while my S2 has no problems jumping from 70MPH to 110MPH with little push on the accelerator. Anyway, if you are looking for a rice beater from stop light to stop light, the 944 is not the car you want. It is a thoroughbred not a quarterhorse.
Reply to
Devils944S2