What depth should I replace brake pads on '99 Boxster?

My mechanic says I need new brake pads on my '99 Boxster because they are at 4mm in front. At what depth are they generally replaced at? He seems to think I can't leave the shop today without having it done. Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Number Crunchee

Depends on your driving style. for me, I'd leave it. 4 mm is a fair amount of pad depth still. However, you need to keep in mind that, again, depending on your driving style they may need to be redone within a year. Nevertheless, for peace of mind, it doesn't seem unreasonable to change at this point. If it were my wife's boxster ( I know here driving style :-( ) and I wasn't as aware of the car because I wasn't driving it much, I'd change it.

cheers. guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Brake pads are relatively cheap insurance - if you could have gone a couple of mm longer, over the life of the car you'll save what, a set or two of pads? I'd change 'em, personally.

On the other hand, if you leave 'em and they wear to the point that you go metal-to-metal, then your costs will be much more.

Reply to
Jim Keenan