which year in the 1970s did the 911 turbo come out - is it the same as the 935?

In the 1970's they came out with a 911 turbo with a whale tail and wide rear wheel wells. It was the sexiest car I have ever seen in my life - AND TO THIS DAY!

Is that the same car as the 930/935 or were they different?

Here's a link to what I am referring:

Are there any web sites detailing the evolution of that car?

Thanks for any leads!

Reply to
Notgiven

The first turbo was 1976. The factory model number is 930. The 935 was a straight out race car in 911 style if I remember correctly (or perhaps I'm thinking of the 934)

Allan A

Allan A

Actually, the 930 debuted for 1974. The engine was given an intercooler (and other minor updates) for 1976 that boosted power output. In 1980 the vehicle was removed from the U.S. and Japanese model lineups due to changing emissions regulations - Porsche felt that the modifications neccesary for compliance with the new regs would hamper performance and squash interest in the vehicle. It was re-introduced for 1986, producing 280 horsepower, a slight bump over the 260 horsepower of pre-86' models. A *very* small run of 1989 models was produced featuring 5-speed transmissions (prior to this point, only a 4-speed had been available) although they are hard to come by, as Porsche was at this point already fazing in the 964, which meant that the 930's platform was being discontinued. Post-1989 model year Turbos don't use the 930 designation number. The 935 was Porsche's race-car variant of the 930, and a version of the 935 used the famous "Flachbau" or "Slantnose" front end. Porsche produced a small number of street legal

930s with the 935-style "Flachbau" front end, but very few were made and they comanded a huge premium over normal 930s. They can be found today, but be weary, many of them available on the used market had shoddy after-market slantnose conversion kits installed which don't usually look proper and are prone to difficulties.
Reply to
Filmophile

I believe that the 930 (911 turbo) was introduced in the European car show in 1974. They 1st came to the US for the 1975 model year (only 284 were built for '75 -1,174 for '76 and 1,422 for '77, so for the 1st series '75 through '77 there were less than 3,000 of these cars built for the whole world). These cars were badged as "Turbo Carrera" which was changed to just "Turbo" for the '78 model year. Actually both the front and rear wheel wells were widened (I believe that the 911 went to widened rear wheel wells with the introduction of the 911SC for the '78 model year, no tail). The '77 930 model year introduced power assisted brakes and you could get optional 16" wheels. The 1978 model year introduce the inter-cooler and slightly modified the tail so that the lip wrapped around to both sides and also the bed of the tail was changed to go flat all the way to the rear window to accommodate the newly added inter-cooler.

W3

W3

Notgiven

The car you provided the link for is not quite right for a '76. The trunk lid is at least a '78, a '76 tail lip wouldn't wrap around to the sides, the badging would say "Turbo Carrera" rathan just "Turbo" and the top deck of the tail wouldn't go flat to the rear window. There should be decals across the bottom of the open engine sill showing stuff like maint specs. I'm wondering if there was a color change? I don't know if the tan interior is a option on the black car. It also looks like it has the euro light lenses on the rear and a dual exhaust. The '76 had a single exhaust out the left side only.

W3