About Prius batteries

This should shut "noballs" Noddy up for life about his lies about the battery needing replacing..lmao..truth sucks dont it? :)

Queensland fleet of Black and White Taxis, owner Graham Boundy knows the truth about high-mileage Hybrids - and it's surprisingly good. His oldest Prius has managed a lifespan of 341,000 before needing replacement of their nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries.? The only problem even at the end of their battery pack service life was a low voltage reading. So which means the Battery started to wear out around 341,000 miles. At 15,000 miles a year, it would take me 22 years to wear the Battery out

Reply to
Lu R

Clearly you don't understand how batteries work you will never get 22 years from a battery

Kev

Reply to
Kev

Never say never. The Prius uses Ni-Cad batteries and keeps them in a state of moderate charge...never high, never low. The biggest factor in Ni-Cd battery life is the number of discharge cycles...which the Prius controls very carefully by keeping the state of charge fairly constant. The age of the battery since it was manufactured is also a factor, particularly if the battery is placed on a shelf and allowed to self-discharge to zero and then stored for years. Such a battery would not last a long time. If a Prius, on the other hand, were being driven regularly for 22 years, it might be possible for the battery to last that long, at least enough to still be functional even if at a reduced level. You could certainly expect to get 10 years. I think Toyota warranties 8 years so they are pretty sure about 8 years...so the mileage is probably the best indicator of remaining battery life and

300,000 miles seems reasonable to expect...and is probably about the life expectancy of the vehicle, anyway. The replacement cost at when that time comes will probably be in the $1000 to $2000 range, although batteries from wrecked cars will certainly be quite a bit cheaper, depending on their mileage and condition.
Reply to
David T. Johnson

Toyota and Honda should at least be congratulated for trying, but there are no physical reasons why the Toyota in particular should be so much more expensive given their performance. As for whoever designed the shape and style of the Prius, well he/she should be strung up and made to "explain" their meaning of ugly.

Dr S J Clarkson

"Eat healthy exercise sensibly stay healthy"

Reply to
Simon Clarkson

My Prius uses Lithium Ion batteries, not Nickel Cadmium.

Reply to
Was Istoben

**Incorrect. All models of the Prius use NiMH batteries. Except for the proposed 'plug-in hybrid' which will use Li-Ion batteries. Keeping NiCd batteries in a constant state of charge is a VERY BAD THING. NiCds should be 'exercised' regularly, by allowing complete discharge and full recharge. NiMH batteries do not require such actions.

The biggest factor in

**They're not NiCd batteries.
**At least you got the rest right.
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Uh-huh.....

*Fuck* you're dumb :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

How about "extremely unlikely"?

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Ooops. Meant to say that...

Reply to
David T. Johnson

Be very surprised if it goes past 12-15 years from when the battery was first fitted not when dopey bought the car

The taxi owner is getting 341,000klms, that's only about 2 years life.

Kev

Reply to
Kev

Really now fucktard? Plse explain oh grease monkey of the south...

Lu R

Ugly is the thing YOU married pal...a typical lame response from the hybrid haters btw..:)

Reply to
Lu R

Assuming that your Prius batteries will last 22 years because that's how long it'd take you to rack up the same amount of mileage as a Taxi is being incredibly ignorant. Battery life has nothing to do with mileage, and everything to do with cycles. What that article actually tells you is that when subjected to heavy duty use the average lifespan of a Prii battery pack is around two years, which in my opinion is pretty piss poor (not to mention the huge variation in the lifespan of the two vehicles quoted). What would make them look even worse is if you could determine how many of those miles were actually covered on battery power alone. I expect it would be significantly less than 25%, and probably closer to 10%.

Toyota claims that they warranty the batteries for ten years and they're yet to replace a battery pack under warranty for "wear and tear" (according to you), yet here's two examples of cars with batteries that have failed well within that timeframe and no mention that Toyota came to the party and replaced the batteries under warranty.

Clearly, either Toyota's warranty doesn't cover anything other than "knob use" (for people like you for example), or they're have a very strange idea as to what constitutes "wear and tear".

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

There's plenty of uglier cars around than the Prius. For a start there are those ugly Peugeots that a lot of doctors drive.

Roger/Davo

Reply to
Roger/DAVO

nothing but a crowbar upside the head could shut him up for life

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Not that you'd ever know anything about that, right d*****ad? :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Her anal sphincter - (ani externus) is much more attractive than any part of a Prius. I don't know why you're having a go at me, afterall, I said both Honda and Toyota should be congratulated for trying. The fact is, the Prius is an ugly vehicle.

Dr S J Clarkson

"Eat healthy exercise sensibly stay healthy"

Reply to
Simon Clarkson

Pretty sure you'll find that its 341,000km not miles. That's a big difference.

Furthermore, battery life doesn't scale linearly as you describe. An NiMH battery that is getting continuous use (as it would in a taxi) will last for more charge cycles than one that is used intermittently. Regardless of usage patterns it is rare for a rechargeable battery to last significantly beyond 5 years. You may get 10 years, and while 20 wouldn't be impossible, it would be very improbable.

Finally, one aspect of the running costs taken alone is completely irrelevant. What is important is the total cost of ownership over it's service life. Considering most taxis are the larger, heavier (and considerably more comfortable) Falcon's, it's not really a fair comparison. I'd hazard a guess that a gas-converted Falcon would have a longer service life, lower initial cost, lower maintenance costs, lower insurance costs, and only marginally higher fuel cost. Considering I once checked over an ex-taxi EF with just shy of 1,000,000km on the clock, that was mechanically almost perfect, I'd put my money on the Falcon rather than a Prius (and that's coming from a devout Holden man).

Reply to
Doug Jewell

WTF are you talking about? I know the words were English, but you managed--again--to utter complete nonsense.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

By that rationale all 6 cylinder non taxi falcons should also expect 1 million kilometers of service before heading to the scrap yard.

And we all know how realistic that is.

Reply to
Chubz