About Prius batteries

Shit; they needed new batteries after ONLY FOUR YEARS?!!?

Reply to
Lars Chance

The story says 550,000km / 341,000mi

Reply to
Lars Chance

Wtty is 8 yrs OR 160,000km IIRC...simple aint it? :)

Reply to
Lu R

*Very* simple.

Clearly Toyota's claim that they'll last the "life of the vehicle" isn't one they're prepared to back up :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

When someone offers you a lifetime warranty, they speak of their life, not yours. Toyota's warranty is as written.

Reply to
Was Istoben

I would have thought "life of the vehicle" is a pretty easy concept to understand.

Even for a Prius owner.....

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

It is, and Toyota offers no such warranty.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Oddly enough, I seem to recall saying exactly this about 5 posts ago.

Fair dinkum, some of you Americans have the comprehension skills of a dog turd....

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

I don't think so.

no, they warrant it for a long period because they couldn't sell the cars if the battery pack had a one year warranty. go figure.

Twelve months ago (in a short documentary clip in the ABC TV midday news), a Toyota USA rep discussing Prius batteries stated "they cost *us* $8000 a time". They expected that to come down as sales increased - which they may not have done much in that period due to the GFC. And even, on a best case w-a-g they are now half that, it is still evident that your replacement cost figures:

(a) are heavily subsidised by Toyco; or

(b) you pulled them out of your arse.

Reply to
rebel

An after market battery pack costs about $12oo>1500.00 landed

a quick google produced that sort of costing

Reply to
user

Wow! So you have a plug-in conversion model? What is your mileage? I am curious about how much of a difference that makes. How much did that conversion cost you?

Reply to
DougSlug

What was I thinking? No, I have the standard traction battery(s). Wish I did have the plug-in conversion model.

Reply to
Was Istoben

He is being sarcastic, they are not lithium ion.

Reply to
F Murtz

Are you saying I failed to recognize my own sarcasm? Perhaps you missed a post in this thread.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Sarcasm (if it was) that only the originator can recognize is a wasted exersize

Reply to
F Murtz

Actually, I assumed he was stating a fact about his own car--if he has Li-ion, then I thought he probably did the conversion. I guess it was just a misstatement after all.

Reply to
DougSlug