And now the Bull starts

Ah, so you are a dittohead. Explains a lot.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

And do you know for a fact that the transmission is mechanically shifted or if it's all electronically controlled? If it is electronically controlled, do you KNOW that when that model Toyota is being driven that it can be shifted into neutral?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Hey, I know that. I really don't blame him, and I thought it was awful of Rush to poke at him that way.

I understand Fox did it to show the full effect of the disease. My step father had it, and by the time they drugged him up enough to stop the trmoring, he was completely out of it.

Mike has my best wishes for sure. It is a horrible disease. But I knew why he did what he did, in order to get his point across. And believe me, it worked for me.

I may be a Conservative, but I DO have a HEART, ya know!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Why I don't believe you could ruin a transmission by mewrely full throttle shifting?

I'm sure you're not telling us something. like the lady who just couldn't stop her Lexus, no matter what. Riiight.

And what does being a DH have to do with it? I saw Fox on CNN (there's an oxymoron...) before Limbaugh even mentioned it, and I did NOT agree with Limbaugh on it. I have relatives with Parkinson's.

so there.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think the Lexus has an integrated Bluetooth with voice dial:

"OH SHIIIT!!!!! CALL JIM... OH SHIT!!! Hi honey. How are you? OH SHIIIT!!! i can't stop the car... OH! SHIIIIT!!! what? pick up some bread and milk? OH SHIIIIT!!! but i have to be at the hairdresser for 4... Oh, THANK GOD!!! oh, nothing. I jusr ean out of gas, that's all. See you later, love!"

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nope. I don't. What about the OFF button? So, do YOU know if it can or can't? Add something instead of blather for once. You seems to be adept at ruining transmissions.

If anyone wants to lend me their Lexus (Raaaayyyyy?) I will GLADLY find out what happens at 125 MPH.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Conceptually the electronically controlled transmission can be inhibited from switching to neutral whenever a wide-open throttle input is received.

Catch-22. Can't release the throttle, therefore you can't shift to neutral, brakes don't override throttle and return the engine to idle, and you have to hold the "start" button for >4 seconds to shut down the engine.

Now only a moron would program a PCM that way. But then I thought only a moron would fail to include brake-overrides-throttle logic in EVERY electronic throttle model too. Silly me.

Reply to
Steve

I'll say.

But absoultely correct. Just like the Cruise Control.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Brake overrides cruise control. Give the geniuses 10 years to figure out that they could extrapolate from that idea....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

But in Toyotas, the brake does NOT override the accelerator pedal, as it does in BMW, GM, Chrysler, and virtually other electronic-throttle vehicle out there. Toyota has admitted this.

Reply to
Steve

And yet you attack the woman who made the statement. Tells plenty about you.

What about it? As many have already said, it seems that you have to hold it for 3 seconds. She probably didn't hold it that long. Most likely it's the ONLY on/off button on anything she owns that has to be held for 3 seconds to turn off.

Really? Shows your reading comprehension problem. The ONLY transmission that has not been up to the task of MY *normal* driving is the junk in the Toyota Tercel. Whereas my domestics last forever it seems, the Toyota only lasted a month. Since they work so well for you I'll assume you drive like you write, sloppily, slow, and all over the place, whereas I'm tight, fast, and on the mark.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

ad hominem? you can't address the facts so you attempt to discredit the person pointing them out to you? [rhetorical]

so read the freakin' owners manual!

besides, unless this is absolutely the first time this person has ever sat behind the wheel of this vehicle, and hasn't yet turned it off, they will have LEARNED that the button needs to be pressed for THREE SECONDS to switch off the vehicle. duh.

"forever" and "it seems"? those are well known legal and scientific terms that tell us precisely NOTHING.

right, we believe you. the millions of tercel drivers out there that have hundreds of thousands of miles on their cars - they believe you too.

except that you're not. see above.

Reply to
jim beam

How is that going to help someone with an out of control vehicle?

that may well be easy to do when you are stopped in your driveway, but if you are careening down the highway at an unreasonably fast speed your perception of how long 3 seconds is may be a tad altered.

you are obviously a loon if you are trying to defend this as good design.

Reply to
jim

Maybe they should have considered that (RTFM) before engaging the starter.

Reply to
News

so, when you're cleaning your guns on the kitchen table, and your kid comes in and wants to play with them, do you just hand them and the ammunition over and let them emulate what they see on tv? or do you take a moment to point out the differences between the safe end and the dangerous end, and keep the ammo locked away?

same with getting behind the wheel of a car dude - you are responsible for familiarizing yourself with the controls before pressing the "start" button.

what is "altered" about pressing the freakin' button until it works? you keep pressing the brake pedal until you can tell it's working don't you?

no dude, i'm pointing out the facts:

  1. a driver is responsible for familiarizing themselves with the operation of the vehicle.
  2. a driver that already knows the vehicle takes three seconds to shutdown from their experience on the driveway but "forgets" it on the road is going to be subject to "natural selection".

just like firearms, chainsaws, high buildings with open balconies, there has to be a basic level of competence for which a manufacturer cannot be held responsible.

Reply to
jim beam

You both have your facts confused. It only takes three seconds to turn it off if its running down the road in gear. When its sitting in the driveway in Park, the normal state of cars about to be turned off, a single touch turns it off.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Did i say the driver is not responsible? Or are you having a hallucination?

Nope. That isn't what many people do. If the brakes don't work they may pump them. They may repeatedly press a button also if they don't get the response they are expecting. The fact that she failed to hold the button for 3 seconds in a crisis is completely believable.

The point is it is not unbelievable that a driver couldn't get her vehicle under control. A lot of horror movies are built around the premise that when faced with a frightening situation the obvious simple way out of the crisis is often overlooked. Incompetence does exist. I don't think she is lying. I do think she is incompetent.

The point is that if toyota was taking money from fools without a care or thought given to making that transaction foolproof - well shit happens. It is not as if there isn't a long history of other manufacturers getting burned in exactly the same way. that they could have referred to.

No you're ignoring the facts and revising what happened to fit your fantasy. This appears to be all you are capable of....

So?

OK and a car maker that is responsible for offing fools is going to get a reputation for that. So its all as it should be. No? Except there are other people who never bought a Toyoat getting hurt, which is why the govt. is stepping in.

No but if Toyota had any foresight they might have realized they could get their image damaged. If we look at the history of unintended acceleration complaints, in the end NHTSA as always will probably find that Toyota did nothing wrong.

Reply to
jim

day 1, to self: "I don't need an owner's manual, I know how to drive."

day 3, to Usenet: "Does anyone know how to set the radio station presets on my shiny new 2010 model $25,000 toy?"

day 20, to Usenet: "The guy at the gas station told me I don't need 93 octane fuel, that I'm wasting my money! But I heard from a friend of the guy who works at the Taco Bell near me that 93 octane will give my Civic more power. Clearly, he's correct; I know it, I can feel it when I drive. One time my wife put 87 in by mistake, and this baby was hugely sluggish all around town until I drove around the outerbelt four times to get rid of it so I could put Kwiki-Mart 93 back in."

day 45, to Usenet: "I took the car in for some warranty work, and Honda said it needs its 3000 mile service; is $450 too much?"

day 93, to Usenet: "After Jiffy-Lube put engine oil into my auto trans and then overfilled my crankcase by a quart and a half, those bastards didn't reset my check engine light! Does anyone know how to reset that? And can anyone confirm that my system takes 10W40 oil? 'Cuz that's what they say they used."

(yes, I know I used "check engine light" and "Honda said"; that was intentional...)

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

right on.

Reply to
jim beam

"God shut the car off" tells me all I need to know to determine she needs to ride the bus.

So, how has she been shutting the car off since she bought it? Buses aren't very expensive to ride.

A MONTH!!! Holy Crap! Mine have gone YEARS, but then, I don't expect an Econobox to have Porsche performance.

Reply to
Hachiroku