Drive vs B

I'm curious about the B drive setting in my 04 Prius. How does the B setting affect gas milage? Is more energy returned to the battery in B? Or is D better? When should I use B?

Thanks Max

Reply to
Max Yaffe

B enables engine braking and returns less energy to the battery, and so it reduces fuel economy. The intended use is while going down long hills, to avoid overusing the friction brakes, just as one would put a conventional automatic transmission into 2 or 1. (*Unlike* a conventional transmission, B does not give more low-speed torque.) Some people like to use "B" in heavy stop-and-go driving so they don't have to touch the brakes so much, but again this reduces fuel economy.

Reply to
richard schumacher

Never unless you live on a mountain.

Reply to
Doug

  • Bad answer.

Use B whenever you would downshift in a car with conventional transmission. Using B will save your brakes on downhill runs, either short or long.

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones

Since engine braking only adds a modest amount of drag at cruising speeds (which is the same thing regenerative braking does, although regen can provide more drag), it really doesn't take any load off the friction brakes unless the battery is "full." In our 2002, that apparently is after somewhere between 1000 ft and 2000 ft of descent. This seems to be borne out by people who have reported checking their wheels after fairly long descents and found they were cool. For downgrades that drop you less than 1000 ft, "B" probably isn't useful.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee