Electric AC Compressor in Dixie

So why the term "gasser", when the Prius uses gasoline and ONLY gasoline as a source of energy?

And why the differentiation between "gasser" and diesel fueled cars?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Oh--you mean like your "I don't have to provide data that I don't want to; if I declare it to be so, it shall be so" attitude of deceit?

You absolutely HATE it when someone calls you on your bullshit, bob. And it gets your panties in a wad.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

So you admit you're a sociopath, rambling on about "braking distance is unaffected because I braked, let the ABS do its thing, and it worked fine"?

Yeah, no need to get the REAL world of physics involved inside your fantasy world.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I believe the discussion was braking performance and your specific lack of data on that issue--a lack of data which did not prevent you from declaring that "braking distance was OK because I let the ABS kick in".

You are SUCH a tool...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The DC-DC converter (not inverter) is part of the main inverter and is liquid cooled.

He doesn't have to, that is what

is for

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

On Mon, 23 May 2011 19:11:40 -0500, "Daniel who wants to know" put together some random words that came up with:

No! No! I mean Traction Battery (180v/375 Volts) -> 120V/240V 60Hz (an inverter).

It would be a nice Sr. project for a talented EE student. A conventional 3 phase boost switching converter into a 480v 3 Phase-> single phase transformer (kinda like they have on power poles, but smaller).

You can get them here:

I don't know how high the traction battery gets, but for a simple inverter, a single phase boost converter to 277V to a stepdown 120V/240 transformer should do the trick.

With the 3 phase, you need smaller thyristors.

You have to get to 60 Hz anyway, so why not do it in one step instead of 3? Much more efficient.

Reply to
Steve

Did you even read the site at all? He used a commercial UPS that uses a nominal 240V lead acid battery bank and hooked it directly to the car's traction battery. NHW20 Prius nominal pack voltage is 201.6 (@1.2v/cell) but since the traction pack is never below 40% charge the actual voltage is higher, and during the engine on cycles the voltage would be higher due to charging.

AFAIK There is no such thing. They just balance the load instead IE your house or block is on phase A and your two neighbors houses or blocks might be on B and C. It would take one heck of a wye-delta wound zig-zag transformer assembly to phase shift 2 of the legs 120°, one forward one back, to match the third.

More "random words" for you TYVM

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know