Re: 41 MPG city Fusion Hybrid more efficient than Camry Hybrid's 33 MPG

So who still wants a Prius?

People who want a car that's comfortable, that works well for a long time, that isn't kludgy, and that is backed by a company that doesn't say "Fuck you, you bought it, now it's your problem" after the sale?

I'd give up a mile per gallon for that.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Glad to see Ford is working on this. I wouldn't want a Prius if you gave it to me.

Reply to
Fred

"Jap crap."

Reply to
Roger Blake

The front seats have no lower back support.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Toyota dealers are consistently rated poorly in the area of Customer service. Toyota parts are expensive. And despite a bunch of BS they aren't especially reliable. Toyota owners have to be the most delusional car buyers on the planet.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I get so tired of this crap. I've been around many Fords, GMs, Toyotas, and Nissans. The difference in reliability and longevity among them is trival. The worst car I ever owned was a POS Toyota. The best vehicle I have ever owned may well be my current Fusion, but it is to soon to tell. So far it has 40K miles, has never needed any repair of any sort. The Fusion is very comfortable, gets decent mileage, and has good power. An all around good car. I'll admit the longest I've ever kept a vehicle was 14 years (1992 F150), so I don't have much experience with 20 year old vehicles. But then I don't know anyone else who does either. I have known one person who managed to keep a Toyota running for 10 years and 200k miles, but it was not exactly the trouble free experience the Toyota fanatics would like to claim (i.e., it was an oil leaking, smoking, unreliable, rusting money pit for the last 50k). And my Sister just moved on after 10 years and

150k miles with a Civic. It was an OK car when new, but in the end it was undrivable as far as I was concenred.

My experience with car dealers is not that good, no matter the brand, with the possible exception of Honda. Many years ago one of my co-workers had a first generation Accord. It was a real POS. While I worked with him he had to have two head gaskets replaced, both front fenders replaced due to rust, and the transmission rebuilt. BUT, Honda covered it all, so he always talked about how great the car was. The fact is, it was a POS, and spent more time in the shop than any car I have ever owned, but he didn't care because Honda took care of him (well except co-workers had to drag his butt back and forth to the Honda dealer regularly to pick up / drop off the car). I have no idea if Honda is still that good. And I don't know how Ford treats its Customers either, since I haven't had that needed a transmission or any other major item replaced on a Ford in decades. I did have to pay to replace the fuel pump on the 1992 F150 after 12 years, so should I rant at Ford for not doing it for free?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I wouldn't know, since I've never needed to ask for any. I know the Toyota dealers are more than willing to tell you to get lost. And honestly, are Hondas that sorry that they need to routinely fund "goodwill" repairs? I know they recalled my Sister's old Honda Civic to fix the crappy exhaust system when it was around 8 years old, but they didn't fix the crummy paint, or crumbling plastic in the interior, the oil leaking engine, or the fogged out headlights. Should we have expected Honda to fix all these things for free? The difference in "quality" between by sister's 10 year old Honda and my

14 year old F150 was dramatic. The 14 year old F150 (a farm truck that had been beat to death) was in far better condition than the 10 year old Honda that had never been off a paved road. The F150 had no oil leaks, decent paint (both vehicles were white), decent ride and handling, etc. And the F150 cost much less when new! The only advantage the Honda had was that it got much better gas mileage. I did have to replace the fuel pump and alternator on the F150, but then I had to replace the Honda's exhaust muffler twice before it was recalled and the ignition wiring once (at a ridiculously high price).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Me thinks that is why they post in the NGs of domestics. They are trying to convince themselves that the 20% to 30% more the spent to buy their Toyota, that proved to not be the better vehicle they were led to believe, was not a waist of money. ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That may be your opinion but it was a Toyota salesmen and your opinion is that of a minority, it seems.

Every buyer is sure the model and brand that makes them happy is the one they buy. THAT is why every buyer chooses to buy what they buy.. However, the fact is Ford sells far more vehicles to happy buyers than does Honda. LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Hmmmmm. Well, when that doohickey goes out at 75K miles and costs $300 to fix, and Honda knows it shouldn't have, they have a mechanism in place to address the situation.

On the other hand, Honda knows which doohickeys are expected to be wear items and at what intervals, and doesn't hesitate to tell customers that they won't pay to fix it, that it's part of owning the car.

Ford's mechanism is to tell the customer to f*ck off and go away, regardless.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yeah. So many, in fact, that Ford--contrary to previous reports--will need to be bailed out after all.

I mean, business is SO good for Ford.

me

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

What is your point? The fact remains Ford, as well as several other manufactures, outsell Honda

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Do they?

Cite references that include numbers.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I've had probably 5 or 6 stupid things over the years get fixed. Two were on 79 Civics--both rust related. Front beam and gas tank straps.

7 year old cars, and not even a hint of an issue, fixed the next day each time.

Yeah, back in 79 Honda had a couple of major design flaws.

I'm holding my breath on the Odyssey transmission. Honda spent ten years with the beancounters making engineering decisions, and it all blew up on their transmissions hooked to V6 engines.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No, not at all.

Look, every car purchase is a gamble. You may get a lemon Accord, or you may get a stellar Taurus.

But history has shown that the ODDS of those things happening are small. And all you can go with is the odds.

However, knowing that something could happen is mitigated by knowing that it will be taken care of.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

According to latest surveys, 93% of people who have bought or rented a Prius are positive and would do it again. That is pretty good customer satisfaction.

According to this morning's news, the new Prius hybrid gets 50 mpg. And that is pretty fair mileage.

You can buy whatever you want, and can afford. Not everybody has the same needs and goals.

Reply to
HLS

Agree with all you said except my son tells me the Ford trucks at the lower level models have better front suspensions. He's a GM guy, but works on many suspensions all day/every day. I forgot since I don't care about trucks, but it was something about struts not being able to carry a plow. When he prefers anything Ford over GM I listen.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

A co-worker and I were discussing this today - let's say you were going to buy a new Accord for $30k. Now, let's say you could buy it for $22k but no warranty. Would you still buy the car? How many $$$ cheaper would the car have to be to buy it with no warranty?

Ray

Reply to
ray

Cars come with warranties?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You'd bet wrong. Both the dealerships and the Ford Zone reps have money available for "goodwill" service.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee