MPG experience?

I just gave my new Prius a 200 mile break-in run to Minneapolis. It was at night (lights on), in rain (resistance), 36F (engine ran to heat cab) and without wind of any consequence. Drove 55 for the first 30 miles (rolling hills) and averaged 52 mpg, beating the epa rating. Drove the next 170 miles changing speed at 30 minute intervals per dealer's recommendation running 55, 60, 65 and 70. Averaged 47.2 mpg. As far as I'm concerned, the

50 mpg rating at highways speeds (55 when established) is accurate. Navigation system brought me precisely to my destination.
Reply to
Bill

I have to agree here -- I get about 48 MPG with our 2001 in fall and spring. I get about 42 MPG in midwinter or the hottest part of summer. That sort of range is what you will generally see (5-10 MPG difference between running climate control and not running it).

I also tend to drive over half my miles on trips of less than 10 miles. You will notice that those who get the best gas mileage drive further on an "average" trip. Same is true of non-hybrid cars, too.

I get about 27 MPG from my Sentra under the same circumstances. So the Prius seems to be just short of twice the gas mileage of a smaller but comparable car.

The 2005 has only 3500 miles on it, all this winter, but I've got between 45 and 50 MPG each fillup (miles driven/gallons added, so as to avoid any errors in the computer calculated MPG) so it does appear to beat the 2001 by a hair....

--Charles

Reply to
Charles Marslett

Rod, appreciate the spam hint. To close this thread I just like to add the following

I used to be an engineer in telecomms but moved over to the dark side(marketing 4 years ago) So I'm in a good position to understand both the logic and the emotion of these arguments... I hope!

I would also recommend you read some of James Lovelock's articles on EFN and elsewhere on the web...very good at seperating the logic out of an emotional debate

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you've read a few. My belief is that its down to every single individual, rich or poor to contribute to the environment going forward. After all we are the ones that have the most stake in the air we breath(as opposed to govt and industry who have their own agendas based on supply and demand)

Mode of operation to date is to blame govt and industry(ie the misused term globalisation) for these issues. I argue that its me that has the most to gain or loose,so its me who should step up and contribute to change

Let me know how you get on. I'm thinking about persuing a web community to pass this message on

rgds

Reply to
Robin Smith