So here's what I think I will get...

I'm going for the blue one. I have owned gold cars for so long, I need a change. Is it hard to keep clean? I like gold because it never shows dirt.
I had a black car ONCE and never again :-)
The dealer has Option package 2 + 6 Disc changer on the lot (I could care less about the changer since I use iPod).
That's it.
I will buy over the counter or mail order the bumper protector pad, and I want the protective Mat for the cargo area. Do they make a rubber one?
No extra warranty or other junk.
Can't wait!
--

Gary Foreman
mailto: snipped-for-privacy@gwfweb.com
G-Man wrote:

I probably know 50-60 Prius 2G owners (Prius Club) casually, and 10 of them pretty well. I have never met even ONE that had a single regret of any sort regarding what they have.
However, a few regret what they did NOT have. They look at mine, which I purchased loaded in Oct '03 with GPS, Bluetooth, intelligent locks, pinstripes, and every other feature possible. I did aftermarket leather, side molding, upgraded audio, video, 100# of professional soundproofing, and a few other upgrades. They say "I wish I had more features because THIS car I'll keep forever!"
My car has HOV-lane stickers good till 2011 - and that's a wonderful convenience. I covet some of the new luxury cars appearing on the market, and can afford most of them, but am certain to keep the Prius at least till those stickers expire. So far repairs = zero, and I seriously doubt that it will need any work in the next four years.
Bottom line, though I've owned luxury and performance cars worth as much as a house, this is by far the BEST car purchase I ever made!!
I am very interested in your aftermarket side moldings. Can you tell me where you got them?
I have a portable Garmin NAV. I have Factory NAV in my Accord, and I like the portable unit better!
G-Man

Although you really cannot see the color of the car from the inside (except maybe the side mirror shells), you'll still have to look at the car in your driveway... So go with whatever color you like best, or else you'll never be happy with the car.
(I've had a black Prius, and I really don't see what the fuss is about with black supposedly showing dirt. salt in winter, maybe, but it's not that bad.)

What is the option code for your #2? each region likes to renumber the packages... http://www.toyota.com/prius/options.html
If that is an additional 6 disc changer on top of a basic in-dash 1CD player, you could ask the dealer to remove the 6CD changer to give you that storage slot back and give you the cash off of the purchase price (that should cover your costs to get an aftermarket iPod integration kit).
The only option that I feel should be required when searching is the VSC, which any new 2007 with a factory option package seems to have now...
alarm, 6CD changer, autodimming mirror, satellite radio, can be added after the fact.
HID headlamps, foglamps (factory ones, at least), Bluetooth phone, Navigation (factory one, anyways), SKS, VSC, JBL amp, CANNOT be added to a Prius not equipped as such from the factory. So, if you think you MIGHT want one of these items, find a Prius with it in the first place!

Several people seem to prefer the black rubber rear bumper protector as found on the Matrix, as opposed to the clear film embossed with "Prius" that is the rear bumper applique.
Applique: http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails.aspx?CollectionID%&ProductID &SortIndex or http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/81
Protector: http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails.aspx?CollectionID%&ProductID 2&SortIndex or http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/80
Several car mat options are available.
carpeted rear cargo mat: http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails.aspx?CollectionID%&ProductID1&SortIndex=2 or a customized WeatherTech cargo mat: http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/72
Do be aware that the cargo mat does make it a little more difficult to access the storage compartments under the floor of the cargo area.
since you asked for side moldings: http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails.aspx?CollectionID%&ProductID 7&SortIndex or http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/57

Why the HELL would anyone pay $2000 for navigation built into the car, and then buy it AGAIN when you trade cars in 3 years, when it's far inferior to an aftermarket piece that you can use while you're on the go and that you can take from car to car--for anywhere from $200 to $2000 (for the huge screen one with all the bells and whistles)?

Why the HELL would I trade in my perfectly good car in three years? I keep my cars for at least 10 years.
--
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/mac.cgi Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/musings.cgi Muckraking T-shirts

Inferior is in the eye of the beholder.
The built-in system in the Prius offers a few advantages over a portable GPS unit.
* uses existing (often larger) display screen, touch and voice activated * uses existing audio (mutes radio for directions on driver's speaker) * has dead-reckoning ability. The Prius' navigation uses a series of gyroscopes and the vehicle's speed sensor to know how fast it's going and of any turns made, and can plot this on the map, even if the navigation system has lost all satelite contact (such as in a long tunnel or parking garage complex). * uses car's own charging system (no batteries to change out or messy charging cords) * difficult to steal or accidentially misplace/lose
However, a portable GPS system has a few advantages over the built-in system in the Prius: * available often for cheaper than the built-in system * can be added after purchase * can be used in other vehicles, or when walking/biking/etc. * map/POI updates are often easier to get, more frequent updates, and may be cheaper (if you only update your local area and not the entire continent as on the Toyota system) * may have some features (such as breadcrumbs/remembered routes) not available on the built-in system
and is there any reason that you're trading in your vehicle so often?
-Michelle, 6.5 years owner of a US 2001 Prius...

The system in the Prius costs $2000. For $2000, Garmin and others will be HAPPY to sell you a touch screen, voice-activated system--with traffic reports--that has a large screen, larger than what the Prius has.
You can get a motorized unit that stores under the Prius radio and flips out on demand.

Bluetooth.
For $2k aftermarket, you get dead reckoning.

Are you in marketing?
The motorized unit mentioned above is wired into 12v under the dash. Bigger screen, more features, and you can take it out and install it in your next car. You're not throwing $2000 away.
Or you can get a smaller unit with the "messy" exposed power wire and get portability from car to car.

As is any installed system. Or as is the Garmin Nuvi, which fits in your shirt pocket. If it's that easy to put away and/or take with you, you do it.

In fact, you have to stretch REAAAAAL hard to find a $2000 nav unit aftermarket. There aren't many--and they cost that much because their screens are so huge and the units are so feature-laden.

I'm not trading in MY car every 3 years. But the norm for Joe Public is that he expects he's going to have a monthly car payment for the rest of his life, and he trades up every 3 years. He's bought into the car marketing FUD of "you don't want to be in a car that's out of warranty!"
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Easy, they do not want the hassle of removing and stowing the portable GPS for fear of theft. Second reason is the full integration of the built-in GPS unit with the other car features. I like the voice commands to the GPS by touching the steering wheel button. My first Prius did not have NAV. My second and third both have built-in NAV. Admittedly the price is high, but I don't think I will buy a new car without NAV in the future unless it is a kludge, like the On-star assisted one Buick offers with Pong-era graphics.
random words that came up with:

Get the HID headlights. You see better at night.
As far as the Nav is concerned, the Denso NAV sux. I installed a Kenwood NAV where the smoky door to the 6 disk changer is. The display is 8" and it is fantastic. This was three years ago. Today, I would get the Garmin StreetPilot 7500 and hang it in the same place as the Kenwood. The big screen is really worth it.
Steve
Steve wrote:

Yes, they are great for dazzling other drivers too. Nothing says "I'm a prize a-hole" more than HID headlights (expect maybe bull bars. Or driving a Hummer of course).
Paul
Paul Russell wrote:

Well, for some folks, they allow nighttime driving while the lack thereof may be severely or totally limiting.
--
Jean B.

Jean B. wrote:

If your eyesight is so bad that you need HID headlights to drive at night then it might be argued that you are not safe to be driving on the roads in the first place.
Paul
Paul Russell wrote:

It MIGHT be argued Folks CAN argue about anything. BUT I see perfectly well with them.
--
Jean B.

Jean B. wrote:

And you're not at all concerned about the effect that your excessively bright headlights have on other people's ability to see and drive ?
Paul
Paul Russell wrote:

This is a silly argument. HID lights, PROPERLY SET UP AND MAINTAINED, are not a problem for other drivers but enhance highway safety. *ANY* headlight that is improperly aimed can be annoying/distracting to others, and potentially dangerous.
The Prius HID light system has ONE brightness level. What happens is that on HIGH, the light is mechanically raised to aim further down the road. On LOW, it is pulled down.
When the car is loaded, a sensor determines the change in the angle of the car's chassis with respect to the roadway, and an adjustment is made to the headlight beam aiming mechanism.
With HID, the roadway is better illuminated making vehicle operation safer. Toyota's brilliant (pun intended) system is the best of all HID solutions.
ANY headlight system needs periodic checking and perhaps maintenance.
notaguru wrote:

I can only speak from personal experience, which is that is that HID headlights are at best a nuisance and at worst a dangerous hazard, especially when driving on dark roads. What is wrong with people that they feel that they need these annoying/dangerous headlights ?
Paul
Paul Russell wrote:

How old are you? You might change you tune as you start aging, and your eyes change. And they will.
--
Jean B.

Jean B. wrote:

If my eyesight ever becomes bad enough that it's not safe for me to drive then I will stop driving. To carry on driving with bad eyesight is irresponsible and selfish. I certainly wouldn't fit HID headlights in complete disregard for the safety of other road users, just so that I can continue driving with bad eyesight. I understand that giving up driving can cause problems in the US, since it is a 100% car-oriented culture, but in the rest of the world there are usually alternatives to driving. Perhaps you could ask one of your friends or family members to drive you if your eyesight is not good ?
Paul

That's just being selfish.
If he's not selfish, he WON'T change his tune. He WILL recognize that (a) the only way for him to see at night is to use something like HID, AND (b) HID is nuisance and possible a dangerous hazard.
So because he's not selfish and because he doesn't insist on doing things that HE wants to do REGARDLESS of his impact on others, he will stop driving at night.
It's really quite simple. You're advocating "every man for himself, screw everyone else". He's not.
And by definition, you can't see his viewpoint. You explain yourself very well in that respect.