So here's what I think I will get...

I'm going for the blue one. I have owned gold cars for so long, I need a change. Is it hard to keep clean? I like gold because it never shows dirt. I had a black car ONCE and never again :-)

The dealer has Option package 2 + 6 Disc changer on the lot (I could care less about the changer since I use iPod).

That's it.

I will buy over the counter or mail order the bumper protector pad, and I want the protective Mat for the cargo area. Do they make a rubber one?

No extra warranty or other junk.

Can't wait!

Reply to
G-Man

I probably know 50-60 Prius 2G owners (Prius Club) casually, and

10 of them pretty well. I have never met even ONE that had a single regret of any sort regarding what they have.

However, a few regret what they did NOT have. They look at mine, which I purchased loaded in Oct '03 with GPS, Bluetooth, intelligent locks, pinstripes, and every other feature possible. I did aftermarket leather, side molding, upgraded audio, video,

100# of professional soundproofing, and a few other upgrades. They say "I wish I had more features because THIS car I'll keep forever!"

My car has HOV-lane stickers good till 2011 - and that's a wonderful convenience. I covet some of the new luxury cars appearing on the market, and can afford most of them, but am certain to keep the Prius at least till those stickers expire. So far repairs = zero, and I seriously doubt that it will need any work in the next four years.

Bottom line, though I've owned luxury and performance cars worth as much as a house, this is by far the BEST car purchase I ever made!!

Reply to
notaguru

I am very interested in your aftermarket side moldings. Can you tell me where you got them?

I have a portable Garmin NAV. I have Factory NAV in my Accord, and I like the portable unit better!

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Why the HELL would anyone pay $2000 for navigation built into the car, and then buy it AGAIN when you trade cars in 3 years, when it's far inferior to an aftermarket piece that you can use while you're on the go and that you can take from car to car--for anywhere from $200 to $2000 (for the huge screen one with all the bells and whistles)?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

On 31 May 2007 14:22:37 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@kluge.net" put together some random words that came up with:

Get the HID headlights. You see better at night.

As far as the Nav is concerned, the Denso NAV sux. I installed a Kenwood NAV where the smoky door to the 6 disk changer is. The display is 8" and it is fantastic. This was three years ago. Today, I would get the Garmin StreetPilot

7500 and hang it in the same place as the Kenwood. The big screen is really worth it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

A lot depends on the color of the dirt. I wouldn't get a black car for two reasons. First is that I don't like black cars. Second is that I live in the Phoenix area; it gets hot here.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Yes, they are great for dazzling other drivers too. Nothing says "I'm a prize a-hole" more than HID headlights (expect maybe bull bars. Or driving a Hummer of course).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

Well, for some folks, they allow nighttime driving while the lack thereof may be severely or totally limiting.

Reply to
Jean B.

Why the HELL would I trade in my perfectly good car in three years? I keep my cars for at least 10 years.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

I'm with you on both. Well, except that I'm in northeastern Florida, not the Phoenix area, but I can't imagine driving a black car here.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

While I think the black cars LOOK nice enough, we hate the heat, so even here in Massachusetts I get light-colored cars. My Prius is silver. I am getting kind-of bored with that, so my next car might be one of the silvery (but not silver) colors. Toyota has some nice colors now, and I hope they will be available for many years to come.

Reply to
Jean B.

If your eyesight is so bad that you need HID headlights to drive at night then it might be argued that you are not safe to be driving on the roads in the first place.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

It MIGHT be argued Folks CAN argue about anything. BUT I see perfectly well with them.

Reply to
Jean B.

And you're not at all concerned about the effect that your excessively bright headlights have on other people's ability to see and drive ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

This is a silly argument. HID lights, PROPERLY SET UP AND MAINTAINED, are not a problem for other drivers but enhance highway safety. *ANY* headlight that is improperly aimed can be annoying/distracting to others, and potentially dangerous.

The Prius HID light system has ONE brightness level. What happens is that on HIGH, the light is mechanically raised to aim further down the road. On LOW, it is pulled down.

When the car is loaded, a sensor determines the change in the angle of the car's chassis with respect to the roadway, and an adjustment is made to the headlight beam aiming mechanism.

With HID, the roadway is better illuminated making vehicle operation safer. Toyota's brilliant (pun intended) system is the best of all HID solutions.

ANY headlight system needs periodic checking and perhaps maintenance.

Reply to
notaguru

Inferior is in the eye of the beholder.

The built-in system in the Prius offers a few advantages over a portable GPS unit.

  • uses existing (often larger) display screen, touch and voice activated
  • uses existing audio (mutes radio for directions on driver's speaker)
  • has dead-reckoning ability. The Prius' navigation uses a series of gyroscopes and the vehicle's speed sensor to know how fast it's going and of any turns made, and can plot this on the map, even if the navigation system has lost all satelite contact (such as in a long tunnel or parking garage complex).
  • uses car's own charging system (no batteries to change out or messy charging cords)
  • difficult to steal or accidentially misplace/lose

However, a portable GPS system has a few advantages over the built-in system in the Prius:

  • available often for cheaper than the built-in system
  • can be added after purchase
  • can be used in other vehicles, or when walking/biking/etc.
  • map/POI updates are often easier to get, more frequent updates, and may be cheaper (if you only update your local area and not the entire continent as on the Toyota system)
  • may have some features (such as breadcrumbs/remembered routes) not available on the built-in system

and is there any reason that you're trading in your vehicle so often?

-Michelle, 6.5 years owner of a US 2001 Prius...

Reply to
mrv

I can only speak from personal experience, which is that is that HID headlights are at best a nuisance and at worst a dangerous hazard, especially when driving on dark roads. What is wrong with people that they feel that they need these annoying/dangerous headlights ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

Of course, I am concerned, and I had my headlights lowered because I was concerned.

Reply to
Jean B.

How old are you? You might change you tune as you start aging, and your eyes change. And they will.

Reply to
Jean B.