Thinking of buying an Xterra - all comments appreciated

I'm thinking of getting the 3.3L Xterra XE 4x4 with manual transmission. Would appreciate your comments and experience on all aspects of the truck. Any problem areas I should know about? Reliability? Driveability?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
C L

| |I'm thinking of getting the 3.3L Xterra XE 4x4 with manual transmission. |Would appreciate your comments and experience on all aspects of the truck. |Any problem areas I should know about? Reliability? Driveability? | |Thanks in advance.

Just bought an '04 XE loaded with pretty much everything except the traction control options. I've never owned an automatic but loved it when I drove it and that's what mine has. It also tows 1500 lb more than the 5 spd and gets about the same mpg. Don't get the sub woofer unless you're willing to give up cargo space and who REALLY needs 300W in a car/truck anyway? Also, if you live where it gets nasty in the winter or you're going off road get the Protection Package which has the rubber floor mats.

I think you'll love it.

Thanks... Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

Reply to
Brian Bergin

|"C L" wrote: | || ||I'm thinking of getting the 3.3L Xterra XE 4x4 with manual transmission. ||Would appreciate your comments and experience on all aspects of the truck. ||Any problem areas I should know about? Reliability? Driveability? || ||Thanks in advance. | |Just bought an '04 XE loaded with pretty much everything except the traction |control options. I've never owned an automatic but loved it when I drove it and |that's what mine has. It also tows 1500 lb more than the 5 spd and gets about |the same mpg. Don't get the sub woofer unless you're willing to give up cargo |space and who REALLY needs 300W in a car/truck anyway? Also, if you live where |it gets nasty in the winter or you're going off road get the Protection Package |which has the rubber floor mats. | |I think you'll love it. | |Thanks... |Brian Bergin | |I can be reached via e-mail at |cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net. | |Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

BTW, just one more thing. The only thing I really HATE about the X is it only holds 2 US qts (~2L) of washer fluid. My 2 Subaru Outbacks both (the one I traded for the X and the other I still have) hold a US gallon (just under 4L). Why would anyone make an off-road truck with such a tiny washer fluid tank? It does have a warning light when you're getting low on fluid, but that means you just have to haul around spare jugs of the stuff.

Nissan, if you're reading these, I vote for a 2 US gallon tank, there's lots of room under the V6 hood (don't know about the SC version), find some room and make a bigger one!

Thanks... Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

Reply to
Brian Bergin

Old geezer - lol.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

If you don't plan on doing any serious off-roading, get the Pathy (new or slightly used). It's a better vehicle overall.. ie, more refined. Just my opinion, it's your $$.

Thanks for everyones' thoughts - keep them coming as I'm still trying to make up my mind. The Pathfinder looks attractive as well, but I go offroading a few time a year (usually in the summer). Not heavy duty rock crawling, but enough runoffs, potholes, dips and bumps to want something a little more sturdy.

Reply to
C L

I wouldn't take either one off road. Most SUV's are designed to transport soccer moms and kids to school and work. You want something that's better suited, look at a HummV.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

| |I wouldn't take either one off road. Most SUV's are designed to transport soccer |moms and kids to school and work. You want something that's better suited, look |at a HummV.

Unless you buy the real Hummer the H2 isn't going to cut it either. It's a Chevy with a different body. And, besides, for the $50k+ they get for an H2 you can buy 2 Xterras, fully loaded, one for the road, and one for destroying off-road. I have several friends with X's that take them off-road all the time and I'm in the mountains of NC that can be quite rugged.

BTW, if price were no object he'd be in a Hummer group asking for opinions and not a Nissan group.

For

Reply to
Brian Bergin

Oh, man. I wouldn't take my XTerra off road. It's too pretty! What I needed was something that could haul music equipment around, but could also be converted to carrying passengers when needed.

It's perfect!

Reply to
Mike (ODO)

Reply to