Toyota Prius engine stops

I was sitting at a stop light and my 2014 Prius engine turned itself off. I hit the start button to restart it. I put it in Drive. Right away the engine stopped again. Happened a third time before it stayed on. Any explanation? Anyone else having this problem?

Reply to
Chris Killorin

I'm not even sure it *IS* a problem - it's a Prius! It manages the ICE engine on its own, and unless your battery is nearly drained, it would shut the engine down at a stop light. Been driving Prius(es) for 8 years, I pretty much don't even pay attention to whether the engine is running or not anymore. I just know that when it's actually needed, it will be there. Do not freak out when the engine stops - it's supposed to do it when its power is not needed.

Reply to
passerby

Go on, everyone, feed the troll.

If he's not a troll, he's a complete and utter idiot.

Either way, nothing to see here. Move along.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Chris Killorin:

That's a feature, not a problem. The engine is supposed to shut itself off (to save fuel) when not needed, including when going downhill and when the car is stopped. It will re-start automatically as needed to keep the batteries charged. You will reach the point where you do not notice whether the petrol engine is running or not.

Reply to
Davoud