Random engine stops and Cosmic Rays

Is there anyone else on this list that has recently had their engine just up and die for no good reason? I ask because of the recent Solar flares that have been going on for the past few days.

So I'm wondering if my problems today are due to "cosmic rays". E.g.; tonight I was sitting at a stop light and my Bronco just stopped running. Everything went dead for a fraction of a second, no lights, no radio and no engine. The lights/radio came back on right away and I restarted the engine before the light changed to green, but nothing like this has ever happened to me before. Later, when I tried to start it, a similar problem occurred, but it started after a second attempt.

Is there anyone else having ignition problems that you might attribute to "Cosmic Rays" from the recent solar storms???

Reply to
Rick Colombo

Fords will be Fords.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You are describing a really dirty or loose battery or ground connection.

A EM surge might stop the computer, but it won't disconnect the main power.

Mike

Rick Colombo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Absolutely...

You should also line your hat and your shorts with aluminum foil...

Reply to
asdf

Approximately 10/30/03 22:07, Daniel J. Stern uttered for posterity:

Except in scandanavia, where Fjords will be Fjords.

Yuck, can't imagine a solar flare strong enough to stop a car engine and leave the driver intact. Although used to have a Porsche that the illegal linear amps on CB's could make stutter when near a semi with one.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Approximately 10/31/03 08:39, asdf uttered for posterity:

Tsk. Aluminum is for the head, for the shorts you need to use lead foil.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

And just in case anyone thought you were joking:

Scott in Aztlan

Yeah, tell it to the Canadians that lost electricity when their power grid went down the last time we had solar flares. -PapaRick

Rick Colombo

Mmm, Fords that randomly and repeatedly stall. Suddenly it's 1975!

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Clang *ding!*

Good ol' Bosch D-Jetronic EFI, inadequately shielded from RFI and EMI in Porsche and VW applications. Pull up next to an EFI VW, key the mike, stall the VW.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

And so it panned out that the following script was sculpted by none other than Lon Stowell:

That's why the Norwegians don't make cars - they can't affjord it.

Reply to
E.R.

Something like car alarms made by TRW. Used on many Ford products we found that we could trigger the alarm just by being within 100' of the car and running 5W on the 2m band.

Most people don't realize that many things are inadequately shielded against EMI and RFI. And that installing say, a 1000W amateur rig and antenna could seriously mess with the functioning of the car.

Reply to
COTTP

And so it panned out that the following script was sculpted by none other than COTTP:

But many of us, even the dumb common joe non-engineers among us, do realize that. :}

Reply to
E.R.

The power grid can be affected because geomagnetic activity affects the lines. This is only because the power network is so large, however. A car is far too small for there to be any significant effect.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

"Robert Hancock" wrote

Actually, single-event hits on a computer's memory could cause a program crash in the ECU... Wonder if the guy on alt.autos.bmw that recently complained about his airbags blowing when he started his car had one? ;->

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

It turns out that my battery is the culprit. I did a "Load Test" today and it Fails right away. I put in an old/spare battery for now, but I'll be buying a new one tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies, I think this topic, if nothing else, has entertained a few people :-) -PapaRick

fbloogyudsr wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

Yeah, but are you absolutely *sure* it wasn't the recent solar flares that drained your battery? >:-)

Approximately 11/1/03 19:45, Rick Colombo uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell