2 questions for Rover 600 owners....

Hi all,

wondering if anyone can answer two small queries that are annoying and intriguing me!

1) Has anyone ever come across a tapping noise that seems to come from the drivers door? It happens whenever I change speed (even ever so slightly). I suspect it's something swinging / rolling and tapping against the door skin, but have had the trim off 3 times and can't see anything. Sounds almost like a ball bearing rolling around, but there isn't one! Wondering if it's part of the lock, but only a guess.

Also,

2) Should the one-touch electric window (drivers door) work all the time? It only seems to work when the ignition is on but the engine is off. The rest of the time I have to hold my finger on it. Not exactly a big problem, just wondering if it's supposed to be like this (unlikely!)

Cheers for any thoughts, Ade

Reply to
Adrian

It's almost certainly worn pins in either the door hinges, or the tensioner strap. Not a 600 issue - affects all cars. It's usually pretty simple to replace them.

Should work whenever the ignition is on. The switch sort of has two positions - if you press it hard, then it goes all the way down. I don't think it has a one-touch for going back up !

Reply to
Nom

Cheers - I'll look at those next, then! I'd wondered if it was the check strap, but can't recreate the noise by wiggling it. Maybe because the door has to be open to test.....

Hmm - I'm definitely pushing the switch down fully (it works with engine off). Rather puzzling as I can't believe there's any electronic feed that's different depending on whether the engine is running or off but with ignition on.

Will post any conclusions to both of the above (if I come to any!)

Cheers, Ade

Reply to
Adrian

I think the door issue is more common on 600's never had it before, but mine does it, my dad also had it and had it sorted by local garage, who spent 4-5 hours , seemed to be combination of wear in several parts. At the moment I'm tolerating mine, unless somebody can some up with a definitive answer.

T> > > Hi all,

Reply to
apk1

Yup, my 25 does it as well.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I've had it on a couple of cars, and seen it on lots. It's usually been the check-strap though, not the actual hinges (easy test for the hinges is to see if you can lift the door at all when it's open).

Reply to
Nom