1991 Colt gti 16v

does anyone know why a "whoomping sound" appears when i apply the brake pedal?

anyone knoe of any major issues on a 1991 colt gti 16v with 66,000 kms on the clock? what should i look out for?

thanks in advance

jon

Reply to
jonpdavies

"whoomping sound" ? Depending on your definition, could be almost anything, starting with a) worn brake pads b) loose parts in the brake booster c) front struts and/or ball joints d) strut top insulators e) other stuff

Try to be more definitive eg is it metallic grating or rubbing, does the pedal vibrate, where's the noise coming from: front or rear, left or right.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart,

Thanks for the reply! Apologies for not being specific enough...the whooping sound comes from the back, and is not a metallic sound, the pedal does not vibralte.

When the brake pedal is pressed, the braking is not instant, but the car does come to a stand still.

This is a 1991 1.8 gti 16v Colt with 66,000kms on the clock.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

J> > does anyone know why a "whoomping sound" appears when i apply the brake > > pedal?

Reply to
jonpdavies

Pull the rear drums and look at the pads and the slave cylinders. I suspect you have a leaking slave cylinder or/and the linings are worn out. If the linings are soaked with fluid, you need a new set. Check the level of brake fluid in the master cylinder.

Check your front brake while you are at it.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

thanks again for the reply stewart, would you expect this to be an =A3xpensive job?

Reply to
jonpdavies

Assuming it is the rear brakes ...

replacement slaves are pretty cheap, as are sets of linings, at least here in Canada. There's a couple of hours labour to swap out both sides. You may also need new or skimmed drums ... unless you have rear disks. The gti is not sold here.

Point is, you need to have someone look at it and quote.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

yes, that model in europe have disks on reaer side...

Reply to
Tomac

Tomac, thank you for the reply!!...yep i though it was discs all round...does this sound like an expensive job to you? i dont know much about mitsubishi, especially the 1.8 gti-16v..does this vehicle sound like a good buy to you? any info would be appreciated

Reply to
jonpdavies

Only 66K km on a 91? That's VERY low. 4K / year or about 400 / month. You'd need to get the timing belt changed, simply because of age. The engine may be quite worn if its never been up to running temperature often enough. Valve stem seals dry out and cause high oil consumption and smoke on start. Compression should be tested.

Check the condition of the radiator and look at the oil in the engine and transmission. You may or may not have slow 1-2 synchos. A bit of slowness on a 91 is normal, but all changes should be easy to do. Esspecially check the

4-5 and 5-4 change.

Check for wheel bearing noise.

The noise may not be brakes, but these need to be looked at. If you are not mechanically inclined, get the car evaluated by a professional: have it treated as a '91, not low mileage.

It may well be a good buy that will give years of service with just a few recommended repairs, but may also be a real lemon. Get the maintenance records if they are available.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart,

Cheers for the info! yep i know the mileage is low, but it is a gibraltar car, and if you dont know gibraltar, it is only about 3.5 kms long! so vehicles here are very very low mileage...gibraltar is on the very south of spain..

i think i shall follow your advice and have it looked over by a mechanic before i part with my hard earned cash and buy the vehicle

thanks, and have a nice xmas

jon

Stewart DIBBS wrote:

Reply to