Rover 200 newbie questions

Hi,
Just bought an dark green S reg 214 16v with 31k miles, and so far very impressed. Build quality is high and the engine is a real gem! I've had
loads of VW's and it compares favourably. However, I have some questions that people here may be able to answer. Here goes...
1. Should the oil drain bolt have a copper washer? Although its on tight it drips slightly and I'm getting ear ache over it!
2. I'm finding hard getting used to the gearbox, with the VW's they just slotted into gear, I have to be more precise with this one otherwise it gets a bit notchy and judders- is this normal? Also, it's jumped out of reverse a couple of times, is there a way of adjusting the linkage to prevent this? A friend told me the gearbox is made by Puegeot - tell me this ain't true!! When the engine is hot and I need to put my foot down to overtake it changes fine.
3. The drivers electric window carries on winding down after I let go of the switch, this is irritating when you just want the window open an inch, can it be made to operate like the passenger window?
4. Lastly the car pulls slightly to the left, I've had the tracking adjusted, it was out slightly, and checked the tyre pressures. Will investigate the brakes later but the car seems to pulls up evenly - any known gremlins in the suspension to look for...?
Ok, that's it, thanks in advance d:-)
Steve
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:04:30 +0100, "Tunafish"

I like driving my S reg 216 but I have to say I find the build quality leaves something to be desired ! There are quite a few mountings showing signs of rusting ! :-( Even one tailgate hinge is going !

Yes
Funnily enough lately, I too have begun to suspect the gear change linkage, as there is a distinct clonk when going into first or third. There is no deterioration ( yet ) in the performance of ther gearbox. I have been thinking of taking it into the maindealers to take a look ! But !!...

Normal... Just flick it back to stop it !

Not noticed that. Might be worth having all four wheel tracked. About 50 though.

krzys_iek wrote:

sorry :)
should be The dashboard squeaks on a bad road surface...
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:34:02 +0200, "krzys_iek"

Mine is rusting where the hinge is attached to the body ! :-( The only solution is a body shop, and I haven't enquired yet.

No, it pulls away smoothly. I did have to get the clutch cable changed though, as it became very stiff after about 20,000 miles.

Not noticed any noises like that. :-)

Andy Pandy wrote:

I will leave it like that... maybe will paint it with rust proof paint (german Hmmeride ?) I think rust won't eat whole steal in 1-2 years so tailgate will come off :-O No signs of rust elsewhere.

OK
Bizzare :) Mine does like Paul wrote in message : "I'm sorry Rover, but....."
OK it is not a jaguar !!
Btw I'd like to have Jaguar... very nice, strong, silent... (as I have heard.. TRUE ?)
But money doesn't grow on trees here in Poland, lol.
Before r200 I had an older brother of fiat seicento, fiat cinquecento, if you know that car !
It was a crap compared with r200 !!
P.s
Do you know any polish car ? :)
I know one was exported to UK (polish cars are gone know. Biggest crap on world, honest!)
Hehe your gonna love this. FSO was bought by Daewoo. This new company went bust and the factory is up for sale, one interested part is MG-Rover !!

chrismm wrote:

Yes... Rover is not a popular car in PL... it could all change but .... ?
(lol, "mea culpa" Andy, sorry not one but many.. FSO polonez probably ;) )
FSO polonez starts to rust very fast 6-7 years and you have additional ventilation in doors :-Q
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:04:30 +0100, "Tunafish"

< SNIP>

One important additonal point, which you will soon notice from posts in this group.
Check oil and water EVERY week, and attend to ANY sign of loss or contamination immediately as HG failure is commonplace.
Andy
Hi,
Dug out the manual and sure enough the drivers window is working as designed - there's no soft-touch option, just all the way unless you toggle up to interupt it. I had the tracking adjusted yesterday and it was slightly out, it has lessoned the pulling to the left, it's only slight now.
Tonight I investigated the brakes for binding and the suspension for damage, all A1 (it just passed an MOT), so could be it needs the rear wheels checking.
I'm going to put some fully synthetic oil in the gearbox and maybe get a quick-shift kit too. Otherwise I'm still haveing fun winding that engine up ... after the oil is fully warmed up of course :-)
--Steve

one well known reason for this, is having different makes of tyre on the same axle .... have you checked this and differing tyre pressures will certainly pull you over too
Omega

I've had the tracking

Site Timeline