Cost to replace fan belt on 1996 Rover 114gta

The fan belt went on my 1996 Rover 114 yetsreday (according to the National Rescue man).

I have phoned a local garage (not an official Rover garage) to get a quote on having this replaced/fixed and was quoted =A3250. Or if there is any associated damage =A3350.

Could this be right? It seems way over the top to me! The belt went while we were driving it, but surely it wouldn't have caused any damage elsewhere... would it?

TIA,

Colin

Reply to
colin.steadman

Hang on a sec.. someone has just suggested I might have the wrong end of the stick and it might infact be the cam-belt. I'll need to have a look at the report again tonight to confirm. The only other thing I remember the rescue man saying was that it wasn't getting compression... If that helps.

Colin

Reply to
colin.steadman

you will more than liekly be tlaking about teh cam belt. that is stll a high price but its very true about additional damage. If your lucky you may get away with it. but on that engine its unlikely.

damage could be in teh hundreds of pounds and sometimes its easier to replace the engine (not necessarily with a new one you understand)

Reply to
Rob Beech

Hang on a sec.. someone has just suggested I might have the wrong end of the stick and it might infact be the cam-belt. I'll need to have a look at the report again tonight to confirm. The only other thing I remember the rescue man saying was that it wasn't getting compression... If that helps.

Colin

Reply to
colin.steadman

Yes I think your right. I've arrived back home and had a look at the report the rescue man left. It does appear to say cam belt on the report (although it looks more like car belt). Thanks for posting!

Colin

Reply to
colin.steadman

You mean the cambelt. Cars don't have fanbelts anymore...

£350 is very reasonable, considering you may need half a new engine (nearly).
Reply to
Nom

dont they ????????? actually they do, well some do, mostly in-line rear wheel drive cars that still use the engine to drive the cooling fan, mercedes still use them as do lots of other manufacturers, anyway they are still called fan belts by some even though they are only driving the alternator or power steering pulleys etc.

back to the point, if your cam belt has snapped then its going to bend a few valves, this is not a "safe-engine" which basically means the pistons will collide with any open valves after the belt has snapped since there will now be nothing to drive the camshaft and thus close the valves. depending on how many valves are bent will determine how much your bill will be. £350 is not a bad price assuming that includes all your parts, new head gasket set, new cambelt, new valves etc etc and of course all your labour. regards. steve.

Reply to
anon

This happened to my 214, lost 3 valves and 1 did not bend it fused into the piston head, kept that to remind me of the event and the 1200 quid bill.

Thats motoring for you.

Reply to
Oz