416i fun :(

Hi all!

This is the same burden that had a fuel tank change, wheel joint, brake job, MOT and road tax last week. Went out for a short run today, though it wasn't plannned as a short run, and parked up to get a bit of en-route shopping.

Came back to the car to find a large pool of oil under the engine, and after opening the lid, saw it oozing out of the coolant expansion tank :(

So, stuff it, I drove the few miles back home and let out any pressure and mopped up a bit more oozing oil. No smoke, steam or overheating which quite surprised me.

Would I be right in assuming this is the dreaded "K-series" head gasket failure that I've read many a fable about? :)

I know what's invloved wrt renewing it and what a ball-ache it is to do.

Bye.

Reply to
losttheplot

catkin

On Sat, 06 May 2006 20:22:54 GMT, "catkin" wrote:in a shakey hand

Ta for the confirmation, there wasn't much else I could suspect.

Ta for the confirmation, there wasn't much else I could suspect.

As to using one's eyes, Yes when there's 66,000 on the clock and you know damned well from various news groups etc. that the gasket is going to blow sometime soon.

I needed something to prompt me into changing the cambelt so it looks like this was it :)

Bye.

Reply to
losttheplot

And yet I took a K series up to 95k with barely a problem. It was a G reg though which may explain issues on later build cars.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

On Sun, 07 May 2006 16:12:33 GMT, "Paul Hubbard" wrote:in a shakey hand

Hi Paul,

I nearly bought an earlier Rover but the N reg seemed a bargain and looked so much better so I tossed sense to one side and may well have regretted doing so. If the HG and cambelt change okay and the car runs okay then I'll give it a year and part ex against something else.

Any recommendations on gaskets, as I see there are several to choose from from Googling a bit last night?

Bye.

Reply to
losttheplot

On Sun, 07 May 2006 20:27:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net scrawled

Hi all already :)

I've got most of the bits removed frpm the engine ready to remove the rocker cover and then split the head and block. Looking at the Haynes manual, and I haven't checked the actual head, the manual shows the head bolts as having some sorted of fluted arrangement. I hoped/assumed they would be normal hex headed bolts.

What type of head are these and are 1/2" drive sockets readily available?

Anyone have problems with bolts that like staying put and having to use a bit of an extension on the bar?

Reply to
losttheplot

On Sat, 06 May 2006 20:22:54 GMT, "catkin" scrawled

Catkin,

If you're still perusing this group, care to shed some light on what type of socket is needed to shift those damned head bolts and where I might track one down?

Reply to
losttheplot

I believe that they are TORX sockets and are available from you local Motor Factors, Drapers and even Halfords - I bought a set from my local factors for around a tenner. BTW, I think you may also need a Torque dial indicator (bought from the same place).

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Cheers Brian, I thought they looked Torx-ish but I wasn't sure and didn't want to shell out for a set only to find them useful as a pretty doorstop.

Bye.

Reply to
losttheplot