4.0 running weak

I installed a 700 R4 At in place of my original 5 speed in a 2000 Wrangler. Short story is that the engine performs very poorly. I need to find someone who understands the engine besides just hooking up a code reader. Anyone out there??

Reply to
Dalewhite

Out there where? Describe your problem in further detail. When did it start acting up. what exactly does it do?

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Where'd you mount your CPS and is it timed properly???

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

The CPS (Advance Adapters) is mounted on the front of the engine. It is positioned per AA instructions. I took the rig to a hot rod shop in Phoenix.

4 hours of tweaking and trying different settings only produced worse results. The diagnostic reader showed the timing to be "off" but setting it to spec. caused the engine to run much worse. One of their last exercises was to install a pressure guage on the exhaust pipe ahead of the cat. conv. it showed approx. 5=6 lb. of back pressure at 4k rpm. Then they said I must have an obstruction in the exhaust line as I should show no more than 2-3 lb of back pressure and that must be the cause of the problem. So I went home, took the cat. conv. off and replace it with t straight pipe. The cat showed no apparent problem. The car runs just the same. The exhaust muffller is a Borla and I have not disturbed it. The engine runs smoothly with no missing. When "stepping on it" at moderate RPM's it just "wilts", acting like it is getting too much or not enough gas. I will add that I have an Avenger supercharger installed but I believe my problems are not associated with that. Thank you for your feedback.
Reply to
Dalewhite

This is way out of my area, but perhaps it will help: I was just reading some old reviews and one article was on an aftermarket turbocharger kit developed for Jeeps (during the 1970s "oil crisis"). The article spent quite a bit of time on just the symptom you describe above. In this case it was the accelerator pump delivering far too much gas for the engine to handle.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

What area of the country do you live in. Maybe the group can send you to someone who knows what the heck they are doing. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Dalewhite wrote: > The engine runs smoothly with no missing. When "stepping on it" at > moderate RPM's it just "wilts", acting like it is getting too much or > not enough gas.

Perhaps it's not just "acting" like it.

Why do you believe that? No offense but you haven't given us much to go on. Do you still have stock injectors? If you upgraded injectors did you also upgrade the fuel pump? Have you changed the fuel filter?

Did the same shop that told you about the back pressure install the SC, injectors and higher volume fuel pump/regulator?

As for the symptoms when did they show up (safe to assume they didn't show up right after the SC was put on?) How many miles do you have on it?

Reply to
Simon Juncal