How Much (UK) for Polo Head Gasket?

The thermostat just went on my Polo, it overheated and now needs a new head gasket - I'm being told about £350 (incl labour, vat, etc).

I don't know a lot about these things - is that a decent price? I'm not trying to get it done as cheap as possible, just want to avoid getting stung!

Cheers

Reply to
Harry Chrishner

Depends. If it includes everything including dealing with the head if its warped then its not bad. I suspect its a price just to change the gasket & when they get the head off you may well get a call telling you it needs to be skimmed or exchanged - at extra cost of course! Suggest you ask what happens in that eventuality & get some kind of commitment re possible extra costs. Also a good idea to do an oil and filter change at the same time so find out if that's built into the price.

My brother got quoted over £700 (by vauxhall) to do a 10 yr old 1.6 Astra last year. We DIY'd it in the end & the cost of the Gasket set + new head bolts & other bits & pieces (oil, filter, Antifreeze & a couple of tools we needed ) came to about £110 ISTR.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Harry Chrishner) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m25.aol.com:

Thats a little cheaper than I would expect, Add another £100 if it needs to be skimmed (depends on the amount of overheating and the type of head, but you can't tell it's off.)

Reply to
William Munns

Apparently it *does* need to be skimmed, so it sounds like I'm not in danger of being ripped off at the price they quoted me.

Thanks guys.

Reply to
Harry Chrishner