Jammed Bonnet Release

Can anyone suggest how I can open the bonnet of a '94 416? We don't use the old girl that much so the bonnet release hasn't been used quite a while.

Any tips gratefully accepted !

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Stevie B

In which I take it that the pull release lever inside the car does zip and the mechanism is stucl solid through lack of use, my best suggestion is to take a can of WD40 with the straw, insert the straw as best as possible between the gap and spray liberally.

Do it on a cold engine mind you.......

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Thanks very much Paul

I sprayed the WD-40 as you suggested and with a bit of pushing down on the bonnet and pulling the release, it opened !

The cable appears to be completely seized. At the risk of imposing on your good nature - Does this mean I need to get it replaced?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Stevie B

Yup. Usually the water goes along the cable sleeve and rots the whole lot internally. You could try squirting lube along the inside of the cable in an attempt to free it but once the flex starts to rot it usually is a hopeless task. It's not too difficult to fit a new cable, but you may have to dismantle the dash in places to gain access.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Thanks Paul - looks like I have to add another job to my w/e 'things to do' list. Your help has been much appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Stevie B