820si problem

my 820si has a problem that is baffling me, on a fully charged battery it will run for about a day or so then suddenly the rev counter stops working and most of the other accessories whilst driving. Once stopped when I try to start the battery is flat. Now after charging battery when I turn on ignition light comes on as normal...car starts...ignition/charge light goes out.......stays out whilst driving as normal...then all of a sudden above problem comes again. I have replaced the battery and also had the alternator tested and told it was ok and the problem was the battery...but 2 new batteries later and the problem is still there. any help would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
jane evans

Had a very similar Problem Years ago on an old 216..

Ripped it apart time and again, with exactly the same symptoms...

Turned out it was a loose and dirty Earth Lead from the Battery onto the Chassis ...

Take it off, clean and sand all areas, light coating of grease and away you go. Problem Solved.

ps, Common fault on old landrovers, so you get quite used to it ;-)

any help would be greatly

Reply to
Igundwane

Reply to
jane evans

had same problem with a ford fiesta

turned out to be a dud alternator, car ran from battery and flattened it, then stopped. Battery was always drained be never got charged.

Reply to
vertuas

Rover 420 same symptoms. It was the alternator draining the battery over night

Reply to
Chris Porter

Reply to
jane evans