Rover 200 Gear Box

Hi

A mate of mine has blown the gear box on a Rover 200. Is this an easy job to replace? He is not sure of the engine size because it is his mothers car and she is away!! It's an R reg and it's blue, apart from that he has no idea!

He has a been quoted a price of =A3200 + vat for a replacement box from a rear end shunted car and would like any advice I could get him!!!!!

Ps thanks for the advice on the Vitesse questions,,,.

TIA

A mate of mine has blown the gear box on a Rover 200. Is this an easy job to replace? He is not sure of the engine size because it is his mothers car and she is away!! It's an R reg and it's blue, apart from that he has no idea!

He has a been quoted a price of £200 + vat for a replacement box from a rear end shunted car and would like any advice I could get him!!!!!

If it's a 2.0 (petrol or diesel) then it'll use the PG1 gearbox and it's likely to be differential bearings have collapsed. If it's a 1.4 (and possibly 1.6) then it'll be the R65 gearbox with worn input shaft bearings. Replacing either of them is no more difficult than any other car, though they do need a special gear oil which is quite expensive.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis