SRS

Have a rover 220 diesel ........ what does SRS mean and why is there a permanent red 'SRS' lamp up on my dash

TIA

Reply to
omega

It stands for Supplementary Restraint System. The dash lamp should extinguish after a few seconds when the car starts & the airbag system is found to be OK. The lamp will stay on if it thinks there is a problem with the airbag system.

Reply to
Proteus

thanks Proteus ...... it used to go out after a few seconds as you say, this has happened over the last days only ........ I guess I have a fault ..... what might be wrong? is it a main agent job? has whatever inflates the bag lost it's charge perhaps?

regards

omega

Reply to
omega

I wouldn't claim to know much more about the vagaries of the airbag system, but being naturally reticent about handing over big wads of cash to some main dealer, I would be tempted to try a few basic things first. Working on the principle that if I fiddle with it I may fix it, if I don't and it's still broken, I haven't really lost anything.

Reset the SRS control unit by removing its fuse (F25, I think) or disconnect the battery and leaving it for 10-15 mins for the backup system to completely discharge. Put the fuse back & try it again. If the light still remains on I would check all the SRS wiring connectors. All SRS wiring is distinguishable by a yellow protective covering and as far as I can tell is generally separate from the cars wiring loom.

Before doing this, remove the fuse & leave for 10-15 minutes again! Bear in mind that checking all the connections will involve dismantling parts of the fascia to get access to all the wiring. Try it again.

Reluctantly, if it still remains on, I would take it to the dealer to investigate. That's what I'd do, but it's your choice!

You could of course just live with it; all it means is that worst case you are driving a car without airbags. It may be just the warning lamp circuit that is faulty and the airbags will work perfectly if needed - hopefully you will never find out!

Cheers

Reply to
Proteus

thanks again ..... haven't time to look at it for many days yet but if I find anything I'll post under SRS2 .... how's that ......

regards omega

Reply to
omega

What year is the car?

The later cars fitted with electrical seatbelt pretensioners instead of the early 'gravity fed' type are prone to problems with the wiring to the belt pretensioner.

Normally comes loose or disconnected on cars, particularly where either of the front seats are frequently adjusted.

Usually rectified by simply plugging the cable back in properly but discharge the system first by disconnecting the battery and leaving it disconnected for at least 15 minutes.

Reply to
root