Starter motor / immobiliser problem

I have a small problem with my '97 400 GSi:

Sometimes when attempting to start the engine, the starter motor just spins (disengaged) and doesn't turn the engine over. I think it must be something to do with the solenoid that should engage it.

The solution is to operate the remote fob as if to open the doors and deactivate the alarm and immobiliser (even though I have just done this seconds earlier to get into the car). This is fine, but annoying, and occasionally takes a few attempts.

Is the starter solenoid linked in with the immobiliser? It's as if the immobiliser is deactivating, but the part of the system that should cause the starter to engage is not always operating.

Reply to
Andrew

I'd have thought it would be a sticking pinion myself - the solenoid does more than just shift the pinion into engagement with the flywheel, it also switches the starter motor on via some really heavy duty contact inside it's housing. I can't be sure but I would expect that the starter wouldn't spin at all if it was immobilised.

Easy way to check is to test the solenoid trigger wire for voltage when trying to crank the engine (after it has just spun without engaging but before you try to disarm the circuit again). I think you're going to have to remove it and check visually though...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

replace the starter motor, the solenoid is sticking and occasionaly not engaging, your method with the key-fob is purely coincidental as the 2 are not connected. regards. steve.

Reply to
anon

You are right - it was nothing to do with the immobiliser. Since posting I have managed to start it just by trying over and over (without operating the fob).

Coincidentally I do now have a real immobiliser problem (probably from over-use of the fobs!!), which I have posted separately about today.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Andrew

I had a problem similar to this. Automatic Rover 825. No problem working the central locking. Car just would not operate the starter motor in Neutral or Park for several go's then just started up as normal.. Thought about starter Motor cable, switch in gear selector mechanism, flat battery, etc.

Eventually realised that I was using the old key and fob which has been in use for seven years which I had swapped for the spare key and fob hardly ever used. Changed back, No problems. Must be the electronics in the fob. I cleaned the contacts in the old fob, checked batteries were OK and that one works OK now.

Reply to
Frank M. Taylor

electronic fobs, seperate or built in, together on the same ring, as one might interfere with the other. This applies to keys for the same car or different cars or other electronic devices, like additional security devices.

Reply to
Frank M. Taylor