1996 McPherson struts

Hi all:

Is it difficult to replace McPherson struts on a Saab 900S?

My Saab has 80,000 miles and I think it's time to change the shocks. The rear shocks look easy to work on but the front struts are intimidating with the coil spring wrapped around it and the steering link connected to the strut. Has anyone replaced the cartridges successfully? Does it worth the pain?

Reply to
nospam

You actually pull the strut , remove the spring, and replace the shock cartridge. I'd suggest that you order the Haynes manual

and look over the procedure. You do need a couple special tools such as a tie rod end splitter and some odd wrenches. If you are an advanced DIY guy you can do it.

Reply to
- Bob -

Precisely my problem: How do you "pull the strut?"

Reply to
nospam

It isn't a one word answer - and if you can't figure it out by looking at it, then you really ought to get a manual before you start.

You undo all the bolts holding it at the top, and all the bolts holding it at the bottom, and it comes out ;-)

Reply to
Grunff

Well said, Grunff.

I've done struts on a half dozen different cars. Most you could do without the book. I would not suggest anyone do this with a Saab NG900 unless you have done lots of struts before.

Get the book, read the procedure, buy the tools you need to supplement your collection, plan a day to do it. It takes 2 hours a side, even if you know what you are doing. First timers should plan a day and a backup day in case you need parts or tools.

Reply to
- Bob -

Amen. Doing the struts on a Skoda favorit, no need for a joint splitter, the strut legs slotted straight through the hub.

But the rear struts were the worse due toi having to get under the car. on both ends I had seized, rusted, or rounded bolts to deal with that just wouldn't undo, and had to be either heated, chiseled or ground/sawed off.

One side of the car, no bother, other side of the car, day and a half without power tools. Absolute git to get right.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo