2000 9-3 deceleration programing?

I have a 2000 9-3 SE (5 speed) Convertible that I picked up during the past winter. I've been doing a bunch of work on it during the dark months getting it ready for some sporty top-down cruising. One thing that I've noticed while driving this car that annoys me greatly is that there is a big delay from when the accelerator pedal is released to when the electronic throttle control (fly by wire) releases the throttle. It's probably about a half a second, maybe even longer. This is really bothersome when accelerating and shifting briskly. It makes me feel "disconnected" from the engine control and to me it detracts greatly from the overall driving experience.

Does anyone know what the purpose of this delay is? Also is it possible to program the ECU to eliminate it? If not, I may end up sellling this car off and finding a different ragtop that I can better "connect with".

Thanks in advance, Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

It is emission related. Even old carb engines used a dash pot to slowed down the throttle closure. Modern cars do it in software. The delay probebly feels longer due to the modern low friction engine that takes longer to drop the rpm.

There are no user or workshop accessible options to change the behaviour. However, as it is just software a patch to the ECU software will do it.

How long have you driven it. I found the delay in my 9-5 irritating the first weeks, but after some time my legs adjusted their timing and the "problem" disappeared.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Only a few times, and you are right, you can adjust your "timing" to the car's. Instead of "normal" driving where you let off the gas and press in the clutch more or less simultaneously, you can anticipate shifts and let off the gas first, but I have a really hard time with this because none of my other cars do this, and it is especially difficult to do this when driving "briskly" as I am wont to do. Heck, brisk driving is the whoile point of having a convertible with 210hp isn't it?

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.