2004 9-3 Oil change interval/oil type

I would consult the 9-3 Owner's Manual (you can download a copy from

if you don't have one).

The 9-3 should have an oil life monitoring system which will calculate the life remaining on the oil. Basically it is a software algorithm that counts various factors, throttle application, fuel consumed, revolutions, average trip length etc.

Ideally you would use something like Mobil 1 0w40 oil as recommended by Saab (I can't tell ya that it is 0w40 for sure, maybe it's 0w50 or something. Check the manual or look under the hood). and change it some time before the oil life monitor gets down to 0%. I'd probably change around 5%, or 10% if you are feeling adventurous.

3000 mile oil changes are extremely frequent and for the most part unnecessary if you use a high quality synthetic motor oil like Saab Turbo Oil, Mobil 1, Amsoil, and a good filter (like a Saab OEM, Mann or AC Delco. Don't use Fram they are garbage).

However, if you see a car with the oil changed every 3000 miles, those cars usually last forever and look new when they are 20 years old and run beautifully. On a Saab 9-5 with a 4-cylinder engine I'd change the oil very frequently to avoid sludging. But the 2004 9-3 does not have this issue.

Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr

Read the handbook, I believe it reads every 16k instead. Remember, it's all= synthetic oil in there and needs some time.

SG

Reply to
SG

What is your cars mileage, and why has it been run on mineral? A 100k miles + car may leak oil if converted to full synthetic as any sludge/gunge built up will be flushed through and leave aged seals open.

Some people have succesfully used semi-synthetic oil in cars that have built up high miles on mineral oil, but that was mainly on earlier C900 and 9000 models, without aditional leakage. If running mineral oil in a turbo engine, 3000 miles isn't short at all, and probably closer to the maximum.

Ideally though, it should have run full synthetic (Saab turbo oil/Mobil

1/Millers/Motul) oil from the start and constantly.
Reply to
NeedforSwede2