83 Saab 900S, replacing transmission seals? how hard?

I've got a guy wanting to sell me an 83 saab 900 that's leaking out the passenger side transaxle output shaft. I guess there is a seal that's missing or busted, and I'm wondering how hard that is to fix, or what I should expect to pay to get it replaced.

Thanks!

-Larry

Reply to
LC

Not bad at all to do yourself. You need to put a spacer between the lower A-arm and the body of the car, jack up the car, remove the 2 bolts for the lower balljoint on that side, and pull the driveshaft out of the inner driver. The inner driver comes out with a sharp tug (leverage is your friend). The seal is right there; screwdriver or special tool for pulling seals, new one goes in carefully with a non-marring hammer. Couple hours tops, with nothing more exotic than a ratchet set, prybar, and non-marring hammer.

By the way, for this question it doesn't matter so much, but it helps a lot to specify left or right side of the car, rather than driver's side or passenger's side. This group is pretty widely geographically distributed, so it has happened before that assumptions were made and were wrong on something that mattered.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That makes sense. However, the vehicle has come and gone. and I'm looking at a couple that are actually in my hometown.. so we'll see.

Curiosity question though dave... have you seen a SAAB 900 in the states that is a right-hand drive?

Thanks for the help either way!

-LC

Reply to
LC