Re: Engine replaced, leaking oil, dented oil pan (was: How much is too much oil?)

jjjsan wrote: > Is the oil leaking from the rusted spot or from the gasket? If oil > is leaking from oil pan due to a rusted hole, the entire pan can be > replaced or try some epoxy like J-B weld on the leak.

The oil is leaking from front main seal, rear main seal, and oil draining plug.

If leaking due to warped pan, entire pan may need to be replaced. > There is normally copper or alumin washer on oil pan plug that need > to be replaced. Looks like you need to find the source of the other > leaks. Check valve cover for oil leak, there is a gasket that is on > the cover and a spark plug grommet that can cause oil to weep down > the engine and hit the exhast manifold and cause smoking.

As far as I can see, it's leaking from the 3 locations above.

I don't think a leak from oil pan can cause smoking, unless it is > leaking on the exhaust manifold or pipe.

It doesn't smell like burning oil, just hot oil. After driving, I smell it everywhere, in my hair, in my clothes, and just breathing. And it causes some serious coughing for a long time. On windy days, it's not so bad (I have all windows open). And when I drive mostly on the highway, with only small amounts of urban stop-and-go driving (e.g. at traffic lights), it's not so bad. But it's bad enough that if I use the vents rather than opening the window, it reeks even at highway speeds.

Check the distributor for oil leaks, there is o-ring on the shaft > that require periodic replacing. Real seal replacement can be > costly. There are some engine additive and high mileage oil that is > suppose to recondition the seals.

I attend my car-care course tonight, so I'll print out your message and ask about where these things are when it's up on a hoist.

About these oils that recondition the seals, are they required forever? Do they have any drawback? Also, is this reasonable quality for a newly installed used engine, with new rear main seals? That's where most of the seepage is coming from. I want to be reasonable about the job that was done, and I'm concerned that this is perhaps not what one would expect. But perhaps it is. Leaking from new rear main seals is confusing, though.

Reply to
Tercel Owner

Oil pan plug leaks, need to change out washer. Check if washer is there, sometimes, they are lost or left off during oil change. check with dealer.

Front crankshaft seal can be changed out. You'll need to remove all of the exterior belts, remove the timing belt, crank pulley. If you need to change out the timing belt, have it done then. You may also have a oil leak from the camshaft seal. which is drips down in same location as front main seal. Have it changed also when changing timing belt.

Rear main seal, will cost will be steep. maybe over $500 for labor. Get some quotes.

If you smell the oil, it must be dripping on a hot engine part, like exhast manifold, exhast pipe, cat conveter.

Have a close look around the front and rear of engine, after a long drive.

Reply to
jjjsan