Blown transmission seals on my '85 Toyota Tercel

I have severe dripping that developed this morning under the transmission.

I assume the seals are gone, and wonder what kind of price tag this repair should have.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Firefly

Reply to
Firefly

Have you had the CV Shafts replaced recently?

We did a clutch on my '83, and knicked one of the CV shaft seals reinstalling the driver's side shaft.

Try to get a look under the car and see WHERE it's leaking from. If it's the seal the part is about $10 and if you know a good menchanic that charges for time then replacing it is about 15 minutes.

It's real easy if you can spin a wrench...

It seems more complicated than it is

Remove the wheel Remove the cotter pin Remove the axle nut Remove one or two nuts under the hub remove the bolts holding the steering knuckle to the struts tap the hub loose from the axle with a crowbar or large screwdriver remove the axle shaft remove and replace the seal reverse the procedure to reinstall.

No alignment neccessary.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thank you very much. I'll look into that.

I haven't had any work done on it.

Firefly

Reply to
Firefly

It is also possible that the transmission oil pan seal is leaking. If this is the case, try tightening the bolts holding the pan. If that doesn't work, then replace the pan seal.

Reply to
Ray O