9-3: Mineral oil vs. synthetic

I am a fairly new owner of a 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t. The car appears to have been well maintained by former owner(s), but is high-mileage -

100,000 miles.

As some point, the engine oil was changed from synthetic (factory recommended) to mineral oil. I asked my mechanic, and he said he could bring the engine back to synthetic by flushing out the old mineral oil.

I am looking for a recommendation as to if I should bring the car back to synthetic, or if I might just keep it at mineral, at this point.

If it makes any difference, the Saab is being operated exclusively in a sub-tropical and temperate climate zone - Southern California coast.

Nj=F6r=F0 N=F3at=FAn

Reply to
kallhovde

There's no question about it.

Use synthetic ( or even semi-synthetic ). It's perfectly compatible with traces of the old mineral oil btw - don't fret. At that mileage it would probably pay to run a flushing oil through it too or use a flushing additive when draining the old oil if it's still fairly clean.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The downside to switching to synthetic is that it cleans out a lot of stuff that is in your engine. An engine that has higher miles and has run dino oil most of its life will have a lot of gunk in the engine seals - some of which is helping them seal now. Cleaning it out sometimes results in oil leaks.

I think you'd be OK as long as it spent a fair amount of it's life on synthetic. Synthetic is much, much better for the turbo itself. Dino, changed frequently, is probably just as good in NA cars.

Reply to
- Bob -

Maybe but the engine will last longer on synthetic.

It's a turbo though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I'm sure this exact question was asked almost word for word about a year ago.

And everyon told him to switch back, find the former mechanic and shoot them etc.

Maybe a trolling attempt again?

Reply to
Elder

Not at all - just a basic query to learn about something I know little about, and to help me make a decision that would be good for my car in the long run.

Thanks for the advice so far - sounds like I should be restoring to synthetic.

Rgds, Njord

Reply to
kallhovde

Ideally yes. Synthetic would be the best oil for a modern Saab engine. It sounds like a non Saab garage may have maintained the engine. Do you have reciepts for the non synthetic oil or a record in the service book for what was used?

I just wondered how you know it was non synthetic?

Reply to
Elder