900 GL -85 generator question

I have interesting problem. Every time i stat my carbed 900 GL beater, charge light is on and the car is not charging (dim lights) until i rev the engine a bit. Then it's working perfectly normal until next restart.

I bought two new belts (old are wery worn, at least one of them) and will change them as soon as weather permits.

Are my belt(s) slipping until i rev it or what's happening?

Thanx!

Reply to
Archibald

Replace the brushes if the rotor does not have deep grooves in it. Otherwise replace the alternator.

------ MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

Hmm...but it works at idle after i "initiate it" first by revving it after the start?

Should i replace it anyway?

MH wrote:

Reply to
Archibald

Yes, do as MH suggests - the brushes are worn. When you rev, you loosen them up a little and they make contact. Their time has come.

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
Archibald

Yes, they are (as MH said in his first reply :-), but you need to check the stator for grooves/pitting when you remove the brush pack. As long as it's clean, you only need new brushes.

Reply to
Grunff

My 1986 900C always did this, never gave any problems, and I was told it was normal by the Saab independent in Yeovil last year; it just needs enough voltage to switch over to charging each time you start the engine. I wouldn't get too excited!!!

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

yes, they come as a small block with an integrated voltage regulator, attached to the back of the alternator with two small screws. Try a Bosch service center for replacement..

check the ROTOR for grooves

How? after you removed the brush block, stick a finger in the hole and feel if there are two parallel grooves in the copper of the rotor. If there are deep grooves (> 1-2 mm) it is not worth replacing the brushes as they will wear rapidly. In this case replace the entire alternator for a new or rebuilt or salvaged one.

--------- MH

Reply to
MH

Slip of the tongue. My bad.

Reply to
Grunff

Or should that be "commutator"? ;-)

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Yes, that would be the 100% correct name for the copper strips that you have to check for grooves.....

(These are a part of the rotor though...)

Reply to
MH

It's a commutator if it's truly a generator, but if it's an alternator then it uses slip rings.

Reply to
James Sweet