99 Ranger "Check Engine" light on suddenly

I haven't seen this as a bug yet, and the circumstances are somewhat grey, so I thought it best to ask about this.

I took the Ranger in for service, and it was the 60 000 km more expensive scheduled maintenance. About 3 days after the service, I'm seeing the "Check Engine" light illuminate for me.

I had the oil checked at the next fuel stop, and the oil is good. Right quantity, and a good colour. (I think they put in a 5W40 or somesuch, and today was the first day I drove more than about 90 minutes.)

I'm going to report this to the service department of the dealer, probably, but first I'd like to check that this is not a known bug. Also, if I do decide to address it, and it is a bad sensor, or whatever, how many hours am I looking at spending on this? And could I replace the thing myself?

Not that I don't trust my dealer, but I don't trust ANYONE that much.

Thanks for any help, folks.

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

If it's running fine, (starting, power as normal, etc.), I'd look for the Evaporative Purge Valve first. The EPV is an emissions thing, not a problem if you run with it bad. I've had two of them go on my 96, it's no big deal, easy to fix. Be careful the dealer doesn't sell you a bunch of repairs you may not need. If you can have a third party check out the engine code before aurthorizing repairs, try to do so, but definately find out what it is. The truck is trying to tell you something, so don't ignore it. James F. Hodgdon Jr. Hodgdon Scale Models

Hdgdn