9000 CSE Indicator/cruise/Hi beam lever, pricy?

Hi,

Mi right turning signal keeps failing from time to time, annoying and possibly hazardous. I've had some occasional claxon concertos, turning right unsignalled.

The strange part is, it doens't always fail , the first 3 to 5 times from cold start, it's okay, after that it's more or less over, an occasional lucky shot excepted. So bolbs and relais should be okay, the problem could be in the switch itself.

Today I went over to the shop, they said they needed to replace the whole thing. According to the guy the part costs 180 EURO new, luckily they had a junker in the back yard, also fitted with Cruise, and I could have that part for half the new price, so 90 EURO.

I guess together with labour cost's I'll pay about 110 to 125 to have it replaced. I could also scout around some junkyards and try to replace it myself. Anyone know how hard to replace that thingy is?

I'm no mechanic, so when need to remove steering wheel/Airbag and such vital parts, I'm not even gonna bother. If it's just removing some screws and plastic cover, I might give it a go. Any indication what that part should cost from a breaker?

K.R., Nel

Reply to
Nel Frikandel

Don't know about that, but if the old one has the little end button/spring for cruise control I can make you an offer on that! I need one for a 1995 9000CS. Photo here:

indicator is fine, just missing the button at the end that sets cruisecontrol. Saabs in junkyards aren't easy to come by in East Tennessee.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

90 EURO is 144Can$, so the price for the part is probably right. I think I'll have the SAAB guy fix it, and play around in his showroom for the 30 minutes. Hell, I even might get to start (or even test drive) the 9-5 wagon 3.0t (with LPG conversion) he's got standing there. That looks like a dream car to me.

("if I were a rich man....")

Nel

Reply to
Nel Frikandel

Well, I'm in the netherlands, so if you think it's worth trouble of having it shipped to the US, you can have it.

He'll probably throw the repaced part away anyway. If it comes of intact, I will see if I can keep it. You can have that for free, if you know a way to get it over there. :-)

Reply to
Nel Frikandel

Thanks. I'll think of something!

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

Hi Laura,

Do you want the little button, or the whole stalk?

I'm in the UK, but I don't think shipping on the little button would cost very much. If you want it, you're welcome to it for whatever it costs me to ship.

Reply to
Grunff

I just need the little button and the spring under it. The signal indicator and the cruise control works fine (at least the dash "cruise control" light goes on) but you need to push the button on the end to set it. I'd be happy to pay for shipping/handling through PayPal. I don't know of anyone heading that way anytime soon.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

Nel Frikandel wrote: :: If I get the broken part back, I let you know. I don't know if you're

No matter what other "arm" you get, demand to get the old arm/switch with you. They're gonna throw it away anyway.

Btw, ?180.- sounds cheap to me. I had mine changed - due to cruise problems. I had to pay ?180.- + tax (25%). I'm in Denmark.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Well, if not to help someone out, I wouldn't know what to do with a broken indicator switch anyway. I have enough old computer parts stashed around, wouldn't want to stat a auto parts collection on top of that.

EUR180 was the price for the new part, he looked it up in his computer. He charges 90 (so half) for the same part from a junker. That sounds fair.

Reply to
Nel Frikandel

Looks like you're all set then.

Cheers, Nel

Reply to
Nel Frikandel

Thanks for the offers. I'm glad to finally get this. There was someone else looking for one when I originally posted on it.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

You're welcome. I was on holiday for the last to weeks, so haven't cought thatorthe post. If that guy or gal still looks for one, he/she should let me know before monday night, cuz tuesday morning I'll be at the shop, and can ask to keep the replaced part...

Reply to
Nel Frikandel