An interesting speaker problem

I picked up a 2000 S Convertible in December which is the middle of winter here in New Jersey USA. I noticed the front left speaker wasn't working and I thought I would wait until it got warmer to check it out. A few weeks ago I noticed that it was working on the way home. It now seems not to work in the morning but works fine in the evening on the way home from work. This past Saturday when it was 50+ degrees it worked all day. I pulled of the speaker and the connection on that end looks fine. I did not pull the system (and would prefer not to) and check the connection on that end. The only difference I can see is the temperature. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas as to what could cause this.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Murphy

It's conceivable that the speaker is slightly off centre and thermal effects may have forced the voice coil to jam on the polepiece in cold weather.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thanks for your help. Any suggestions on correcting this? I am not exactly an audiophile.

Reply to
Robert Murphy

Sounds as though it could be the amplifier channel or radio channel. Try working all controls including balance. Check all connections back to radio.

The temperature issue could be misleading you.

Reply to
Gabriel Shaw

Could be a cold solder joint on the speaker. Try connecting a temporary speaker when the problem is present. If the problem follows the speaker, then you probably have an issue with the radio/amp. If the problem goes away, you have a bad speaker.

BL

Reply to
BL

< snip >

If it is this problem, only replacing the speaker itself will do the job.

You've plenty of time though. See if it continues working fine through the warmer months before making any decision.

If the speaker cuts out at *high* temps - it may be the same problem too !

You can only really assess this by removing the speaker. In which case, for your trouble, you might as well replace it at the same time !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Aren't all the volume etc controls digitally controlled now ? The days of 'dodgy potentiometers' have gone.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear