Bad things have happened.

Well, just got the call from the garage who has my 9-5. Compression test is 130-110-90-0, and there is no oil pressure. Hopefully the block is OK. Getting the 99 running this weekend, I think.

Can I flat-tow an automatic transmission 9-5 for a distance of 6 miles?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Can't find a junkyard any closer? ;)

Reply to
Gavin

Ouch! Although 0 is actually quite difficult to achieve. Stuck valve?

Wohoo!

Dunno.

Reply to
Grunff

I'll let you know. Any surprises in pulling an engine from a 9-5? I don't have the manuals for it (yet...).

Indeed. But now it has become a neccessity rather than a "for fun" project.

OK.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No compression at all must be either an broken/open valve or a broken piston. A broken valve would not result in a high pressure in the crankcase, so I think, unfortunately, that a piston is broken. I don't know how a broken piston can cause loss of oil pressure (unless it completely trashed the internals of the engine). Perhaps something else took away the oil pressure and the piston broke due to lack of oil? Low quality oil and long oil change intervals are known to cause coked oil, the solidified oil collects in the oil pan, and then completely blocks the oil pump pickup filter. What is the service history for this car?

The statistical sample of four is too small, but the sequence

130-110-90-0 is quite intriguing. Is the cylinder with the 130 reading closest to the oil pump?

The exact rules can be found in the owners manual and is different for the four and five speed automatic transmissions. The rules for the four speed automatic transmission, taken from the MY1999 manual, are:

  • gear selector in N * only tow in the forward direction * max tow speed is 20km/h (12mph) (or lower if local law says so) * max tow distance is 30km (18 miles)
Reply to
Goran Larsson

Oil changes at 6000 to 8000 miles once I got it, unknown for first 30K miles.

I don't recall. Also, which end is the oil pump on?

I'll pack a lunch then. Thanks for that. I'll post pictures of the post-mortem, and I don't see any reason not to turn this into "rebuilding a 9-5's engine" webpage.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Um, yeah, there's one between the mechanic and my house. Your point?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

About 6000 miles, half the distance Saab demands, is good. Too bad you don't know what happened the first 30K.

The same side as the oil filter, the aggregate belt, timing chain ... Right side of car, left side if standing in front of the car looking down at the engine.

Almost walking pace. You will annoy everybody else using the road.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

I had a broken valve spring once in a V4, that caused 0 compression

no oil pressure could mean a broken or rounded out drive shaft of the oil pump

if you go slow, I think yes.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

so? what's new...

-- M...(eh... anon)

Reply to
MH

Well no oil pressure could cause a broken connecting rod, which would cause no compression. How is the oil pump driven on these?

Reply to
James Sweet

The low compression is furthest from the oil pump, which makes sense.

Luckily, we are in a rural area so nobody passed us in the time it took to get home. Haven't looked at it yet. Interesting side-note, the battery has died. Completely. I cannot reconcile this with any of the other things going on with the car, any thoughts?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Coincidence or more like it a battery that was used quite a lot for the compression tests.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Christacopoulos

Have seen this quite often on 9-5. When you loose oil pressure number 4 gets the less oil from the oil squiter that is under each piston. this causee the piston to stick to the cylinder wall, causing lots of metal to drag and score the cylinder. If this has happen you will need to replace the block. The best way to see if this has happen is to remove the head. To remove the motor it has to be removed from under the car with chaisis intact might be a bit hard at home on the ground

Reply to
Justin