Beware

When you see a battered black VW Golf GTI MkIII with a teenage driver, beware. I was driving on a 40mph sign posted rural stretch to a place with multiple junctions. As another car was looking to creep out, I slowed down for caution, but no drastic braking. Just slowed my 9000 CSE down to about 30mph because of the junctions. Cars in the junction might well pull out in front of me nevertheless.

Then the sound of tyre screech and the inevitable loud bang. Not much damage to the incredible strong rear bumper, but it's the second time this kind of thing has happened to me! What is it that attract boy racers to shadow my car? There were plenty of time and road space that he could have avoided me.

Reply to
Johannes

Now that I am an adult with reasonable common sense I now see why kids should not be driving at all. Lots of kids today are out of control period,and so are some of the parents. Put them behind the wheel of a car with a cell phone and they now have a lethal weapon. Glad to see your ok. best regards papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

Unfortunate. I hope everyone was ok. In times past you might have been able to give the kid a clip round the ear for being clueless, but that's not PC these days.

We're having a heatwave of sorts over here right now. I've noticed this makes some drivers somewhat erratic.

I was just returning home from doing some shopping last evening and passing down a road where I've noticed oncoming traffic often takes too wide a line and was driving cautiously myself as a result.

Just as I was nearing the end of this road, I saw an oncoming vehicle and moved close to the kerb to give plenty of clearance when the driver literally 'jinked' several feet over the centreline ! We were on a clear collision course with only a couple of car lengths between us. I'd guess we were both travelling at about 20 mph. btw. Needless to say I braked but luckily the other driver seemed to wake up and jinked back into his lane ( actually it's an unmarked road ) . I recall thinking about the strength of Saab bumpers when that happened too ! I also gave the other driver one hell of a look.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I would like to think these incidents happen because Saab brakes work so well. More than a few times I have slowed down and noticed the car behind me sliding on the shoulder to avoid hitting me. This means either the driver was not paying attention or the first statement - Saab brakes really work!

Reply to
ma_twain

ma_twain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

I had that happen the other night on the interstate. There was an accident a couple of cars ahead of me and I hit the brakes. My Saab stopped straight and true. Cars in front and behind me were all over the shoulder. I do worry about getting rear-ended. I try to keep an eye in the rear view mirror on the car behind me when I have to stop suddenly. Too many times it's some fool yapping on a cell phone. I just pray he or she looks at the road from time to time.

Reply to
Laura K

Reporting all such accidents to the police helps to ensure that the kid's insurance rates will rise according to his accident history. One way to help get repeat offenders off the road is to make driving too expensive for them. You should have some neck pain. Timo

Reply to
Timo

Quite. I didn't brake hard at all, just reducing the speed because I saw cars in a junction creeping forward. I consider that as defensive driving according to the circumstances. Then I heard screeching tyres and bang wallop, nothing I could do about it. I really like this old Saab and try to keep it pristine free on bumps and scratches. Luckily, hardly any damage to my rear bumper, though the Golf's front bumper was in pieces.

The Ford car in my neighbours drive has also been rear-ended, the damage extending into the boot (trunk) of the car.

Reply to
Johannes