Boost problem once again ...

Ok, I'm sure my boost problem is temperature related ( It is '99 9-3 FPT, trionic 5). When engine becomes hot I loose boost. Instead of reaching border between yellow/red zones, boost gauge gets just one quarter on yellow side, mid-yellow at maximum, and you definitely feel the difference :( This happens faster in hot days. And it happens always if you drive the car hot.

I have found that when I lack boost, disconnecting hose that goes from BPC-valve to waste gate cures the problem and I get all the boost back, and more. Gauge jumps on red zone!. This makes me think it is not a vacuum leak or turbo problem, but either BPC-valve or boost control (or one of the sensors) must be faulty.

I thought I could buy BPC-valve and see if it cures the problem. However, that is almost $300 at dealer and $200 at eeuroparts. Too much for me, if it does not cure the problem.

I went to dealer and they said they probably could diagonose the problem in about an hour, which equals to one hundred dollars.

Now I do not know what might be the wise thing to do. Should I hand $100 for dealer and know for sure, or spend $200 at

and try new BPC-valve.

How likely is it that BPC-valve is broken? Does that happen often? My car has now 73kmiles on clock.

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

I seem to recall that SAAB might have used a boost limit when the AC is on. Have you tried the car with and without the AC running on thos hot days?

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Yes, I have tried it with and without AC, with and without cruise control, tried to kick break/clutch pedals up to make sure they are not leaning on any hidden switches etc. Nothing seems to help. After all, It is definitely heat related.

This is just my luck. Both of the cars started to malfunction at the same time. Thank you Fred W for showing support on the other group, and getting that one fixed :)

Br:Z

Reply to
Zon

check the wiring to the APC solenoid on top of the radiator.

(I assume it is there still on later cars).

my Classic 900 started doing that on hotter days, when driving in bursts after a longer run.

Checked everything out, and it was the wiring harness into the solenoid. the heat from the turbo had cooked the wiring insulation to the consitency of candle wax over 20 years.

I know your isn't as old, so the melting issue shouldn't have caused this yet, but you might have a short somewhere in the wiring to the solenoid.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo