Brake Pads

I bought original Saab pads for my 88 9000i. They seem to have some kind of soft material covering their backside. Is this whine damping material, or do I have to use copper grease?

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

As you suspected, many brake pad manufacturers are putting material onto the pad backing plate to reduce noise, so copper grease or shims are not needed. Out of curiosity, what brand of pads did you select?

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

"Walt Kienzle" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com...

Genuine Saab pads, as mentiioned above. Part no 8993974. Last time I buy something from a Saab dealer, I'm sick of their prices, and my car isn't worth it. I paid around $50 (374 NOK), when unoriginal pads, probably made by the same manufacturer costs $35 (250 NOK).

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

Your car is not worth it? That is an odd statement. Most people would disagree, especially when it comes to brakes.

FYI, SAAB Brake pads in the US:

Part Number 8993974 Description BRAKE PAD SET Saab Suggested List $80.00

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

"Fred W." skrev i melding news:A snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

That's pretty expensive! My car is so old and worn that keeping it mint is not an option, it just need to have fresh parts to pass inspection. However, I consider front brakes my most important part for safety, that's why I bought genuine Saab. BTW, changing the pads were very easy, only unexpected events were having to find something to clamp in the pistons and had to remove some brake fluid that I had refilled. Why people pay to have this done at a shop is a mystery to me :)

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen