clutch replacement

I think it's time to have the clutch replaced in my wife's 1990 900. We're satisfied, having gotten about 110k mi out of the original clutch, mostly in city driving. I was wondering if anyone knows what we should expect to pay one of the local Saab repair shops for the job and if there are other things we should have done while the transmission is open for the clutch job. Thanks.

Reply to
mdb

If you're at all comfortable with tools, it's something you could easily do on a Saturday. But, no matter who does it, at that mileage, I'd do: Pressure plate clutch disk Pilot bearing (ball bearing in the flywheel that the clutch shaft rides in) slave cylinder (maybe) Crank main seal (maybe)

Seriously, you can do this job with a simple socket set, hand wrenches, and one special tool (a 14 dollar clutch retaining ring from the Saab dealer - not worth trying to improvise something when the tool is so cheap). Parts will run you maybe 200-300 dollars (US), and it's maybe

2 hours of work.

If you want to do it yourself, or just learn more about it, check out some photos, here (clutch stuff starts about half-way down)

It's a '78 99 Turbo, but it's the same clutch as your '90 900. If your car isn't a turbo, you get to skip the "remove ductwork" part, saving another 10-20 minutes. It's really not a tough job, at all. If you want a procedure, I think I've posted one here, and/or I could dig or write one up.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If you can tell the diference between a screwdriver and a spanner and if you have a DIY manual ( there are plenty of DIY how to descriptions on line) you can probably do it yourself.

hm... there's no need to open the transmission for a clutch job on a 99 or c900. Apparently you have not looked at the engine etc. carefully enough... then maybe it is not a good idea to DIY

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

One of the truly beautiful things about these cars. Of course the tradeoff is that it's no fun to mess with the belts and accessories, but clutch replacements are a world easier than any other car I've worked on.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have a 97 900se. I've never replaced a clutch-ever, but may attempt this soon as everyone around here charges a fortune to work on this car. Would this be something an amateur with an average intelligence and nice set of tools could pull off?

~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

Hard to say. The 900 that James and I are talking about is the saab-designed classic 900, not the GM-designed pre-9-3 900. It's an entirely different beast, altogether.

Dave "It's an entirely different beast" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The procedure for replacing an NG900 clutch is very similar to a 9000 - only with a bit less room. Basically, you have two options - remove the gearbox from above, or remove it from below.

Reply to
Grunff

?

How do you remove the gearbox from above? Am I missing something?

Do you mean remove the gearbox and engine and then separate them once outside?

:-) Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

You're comparing apples to oranges there, the '97 900 has nothing in common with the '93 and earlier "classic" 900's, the newer ones are a conventional FWD car with a transverse engine, I've done clutches on similar (non Saab) designs and it's horrible in comparison, both the clutch *and* the belts are hard to get to.

Reply to
James Sweet

Unbolt it and remove it, after removing anything that's in the way.

Dunno ;-)

No, just the gearbox.

Reply to
Grunff