95 1500 clutch questions

Hi- I have a 4.3L 1500 with a 5 speed, just rolled past 60k. Lately i have been feeling that the clutch engages with less travel. It used to be that I needed to use more travel to shift. I have not noticed any slipping or pulsing. I shift with maybe 2 inches of clutch travel. I am wondering if it is normal for a clutch to be replaced at 60k. I follow the advice that its either in or out but I have been stuck in lots of rush hour traffic using 1st gear significantly. I have never smelled a burning clutch in this vehicle.

If you think that i need a new clutch, what parts are usually replaced and what should i expect to pay a mechanic to do the job? Also, do i wait until it slips or just go ahead? Thanks a lot...i am always on edge when something seems wrong with my truck!

-pete

Reply to
petemac