clutch slave on 9000i 1990

After removing a somewhat eroded old slave cylinder, and the damage done by the person that installed it, there was a steel backed O-ring that presumably goes into the gearbox. Does anyone know which way road it is meant to go, steel to the gearbox or to the cylinder?

I have to remove the whole thing again as the replacement part leaked and I would like to get it right :-)

JJ

Reply to
Jeremy