Coolant leak from Heater Matrix may have screwed up my 9k

It wasnt the DI unit after all ! Starting problems persist. It looks like the ongoing coolant leak from the heater matrix. I spent this evening cleaning coolant from the circuitry of of the SRS Diagnostic Unit I hope I never need to use the airbag I am going to try and get to the source of the coolant leak this week .If anyone has any tips or pointers I should be much obliged. I have Haynes so hopefully that should be my guide.

-- From the desktop of Peter C

Reply to
<

Tips for replacing 9k heater matrix:

  • Grow long, thin arms, preferably covered in protective scales.
  • Buy a *lot* of beer.
Reply to
Grunff

What year is your 9K and what country are you in?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Crowe

Actually, I was able to replace it in an evening (after work AND had time for dinner with my wife!). The real bears are the slant block cars (-93?) Anyway, the 94+ intake sits lower to facilitate removal and the wipers do not need to be removed. Get a new heater core (matrix) and a fan motor and dive in.

KeithG

Reply to
KeithG

My 87 took a whole (very long) Sunday :-(

Reply to
Grunff

My 9000CS is 1994 and I am in Ireland . The latest update is that since I cleaned up the SRS diagnostic unit and replaced it ,the car is starting fine. I checked for continuing coolant leaks but did not find any more .There is still a strong smell of coolant in the car however. The SRS unit was covered in a burgundy stained crystalline glop. Is that the colour of original Saab coolant ? Most generic types I know of are bluish or greenish. I took out the circuitboard ,cleaned same with cotton wool buds,washed out the zinc base ,reassembled the unit ,reconnected the wiring and drove to work ....amazing The SRS light that was highlighted on the display for over a year is no longer highlighted. I am not shying away from trying to find the source of the leak but I am going to leave it be for a few days. Thanks for the advice and the guidelines . As regards the beer ,have you tried Bergadler from Lidl.....IMHO it blows all the branded /hyped chemical beers away. Im starting to ramble. Will keep you posted

-- From the desktop of Peter C

Reply to
<