Correct Pressure for 215/45/17 tyres?

Could someone confirm what is recommended on a '99 9-3 please?

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

No sticker anywhere ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Couldn't find one anywhere on mine. It's got one now though...

It's 33 psi all round.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Thanks Colin. Mind if I ask where you got that from?

I appreciate the advice, it's just that every thread I found on Google seems to offer up anything between 32 and 40psi, one thread said Saab themselves said 34psi and I'm curious why there would be so much variation? I'm no expert but up to 8psi difference sounds drastic?

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

Well, there's winter air, and summer air...

Really, though, some of it comes down to personal preference. I prefer a bit high in the range because I don't mind a stiffer ride, and because it reduces rolling resistance (improves gas mileage). Anywhere in that range will be fine; 40 sounds high, but I'll go as high as 36 in my summer tires. Winter, much lower...need that flex.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I got it from the back cover of the manual for my '01 Aero - 33 psi for all loads and all speeds up to 160 km/h or 42 psi for over

160km/h. Presumably, once you get to 160 km/h, you have to send someone out to pump up the tyres a bit before you can accelerate further...

I also looked it up on WIS, but that is a bit confused, saying that

215/45/17 tyres are only fitted to the Viggen. It then gives 32/29 (front/rear)psi for all loads and speeds up to 190km/h. Above that, you need either 38/35(front/rear) or 42/39 (front/rear)psi depending on which market your car was sold in. Obviously US air is somehow different to UK air.

I trust that's as clear as mud? It certainly is to me. I'm sticking with my 33 all round!

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Not to seem to be picky, but that is a pretty large increment, don't you think? From 33psi to 42 in one fell swoop! I'd start with the 33psi and then tweak it around from there.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

It depends on the tire, and should be marked on the sidewall. Higher pressure gives improved handling and increased fuel economy at the expense of a harsher ride. Go too high and the tread will deform and wear unevenly, too low and the sidewalls will wear and crack. Personally I run mine at the upper limit for best economy and I prefer a firm ride but it's mostly a matter of preference, it's not rocket science.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sounds a bit much to me too. I'm just reading it off the back of the manual...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

!! ??

I thought that the pressure was very vehicle dependent. Although somewhere around 30 psi is typical for many car applications.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear