Efficiency Sudden Change

2000 9-5 Aero 2.3 HOT Engine, 115k miles

I have been getting 32.5 - 33.0 on the highway cruising at about 70-75 mph and this is still the case but my in town mileage has apparently changed.

I was getting around 18.0 - 19.? with a lot of stop/ start driving round the downtown area. I am In Baltimore, Maryland which has relatively very bad downtown conditions.

Suddenly the city mileage has changed. Dropped to 11 to 12 mpg. However the highway mileage remains good. my driving practices have not changed, I feel.

What would/could explain this low end change in efficiency. The engine runs well, starts easily, moves out with little lag, remains responsive etc.

Any and all opinions are requested please.

Gas here in the US is rapidly reaching world price levels. Something like a 75% increase in the past year. But it is not the economy that concerns me. Gas around town is not a major expense, even at the higher prices. I am worried about the auto's condition. I have never experienced an unexplainable drop like this... and only at low speeds and city traffic.

Thanks to all,

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

It may feel that way, but that's not quite true...

In the UK it's approaching 3 times the price in the US. (89p vs 32p per litre / $5.87usd vs $2.10usd per gallon...as of June 2005).

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Been using your AC? ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

As of today in baltimore US$ 2.51 for premium. who knows where the price is in California. It is not really the price, but the change in operating efficiency which is exacerbated as the prices rise.

Please see previous post::

2000 9-5 Aero 2.3 HOT Engine, 115k miles

I have been getting 32.5 - 33.0 on the highway cruising at about 70-75 mph and this is still the case but my in town mileage has apparently changed.

I was getting around 18.0 - 19.? with a lot of stop/ start driving round the downtown area. I am In Baltimore, Maryland which has relatively very bad downtown conditions.

Suddenly the city mileage has changed. Dropped to 11 to 12 mpg.

Can anyone offer a possible explanation and ,I hope, and cure?

Thanks to all.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason