Electrical problem

About 2 weeks ago I was driving and my stereo and dashlights went out. About 4 minutes later the check engine light came on and my car started running very rough and was idling around 500 RPM. I pulled over to the side of the road and was giving it gas and after a couple of minutes the stereo came back on and everything was fine. Then it didnt't happen again until about a week after.

After a week it would happen on and off, but when it happened, it would only last about 5 seconds (the stereo would go out then 5 seconds later it would work). This happened on and off for about 3 days. Now it happened again, but it stays dead.

I get a boost and it works for about a minute, then dies.

Is this the alternator? I am unsure because I don't know if when the alternator dies, it can work then stop working then work then stop working. The only other thing I could think it is is a short, but I hope not.

Does anyone have any experience with alternators or this problem that they could give me some feedback with?

Oh yeah, it is a 1989 900S.

Thanks

Ed

Reply to
Ed

try unplugging the wire on the altinator, get a multimeter, put meter on continuity, place one probe on altinator body and check the pins in the altinator with the other probe, if you get a reading you probably have a earth fault. Also with the altinator plugged in place the two probes across the battery and make sure you are getting around 13v charge, possibly the battery is not holding charge does the car start ok next day? Normally an earth fault would drain the battery overnight, check battery terminals are tight and body earth leads.

Reply to
mikenem