Gearbox replacement / clutch tool

Hello all, do I need the infamous "clutch removal saab-tool" if all I want is to replace the gearbox?

Saab 900i, 1989. (white ;) Regards, Rihard.

Reply to
OKOK!

It's something like 10 Euros. It's the best Saab tool purchase you'll make. The job can be done without it, but the swearing, grunting, potential of damaging the slave cylinder, and pain and suffering aren't worth trying to do without, or trying to improvise something. Spark plug wires, rope, cables, all that just doesn't do it. With the right tool, you put it in place, press the clutch pedal, and in my experience using it twice now, the tool expands out into the right position (no needing 4 feet,

3 arms, and a trained horse to help). It just works.

Dave "Seriously. Go buy one, you'll not regret it." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hey Dave, thanks, but i am just wondering if I need to do anything _at all_ with the clutch when replacing the gearbox.... I hoped to replace the box without even touching the clutch.... False hope?

Richard.

Reply to
OKOK!

Well, you won't be able to separate the engine from the gearbox without removing the clutch. Make sure you do this _before_ removing the power plant from the car, or it's a real bitch without hydraulics. You can probably lever the fingers individual and put spacers in (washers or coins) but that's not the ideal by any means.

Fraid so. What's the current state of what's where and what works?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thanks Dave!

GRMBL!

Everything is working still, just making sure I am well prepared for the job.

900i sedan, 1989, 325.000 km, LPG. Rest of the engine is very good. Don't know yet about the state of the clutch, but no problems so far. Current gearbox is noisy (whine) and rough, but still shifts 'well'. I found a 'recently' rebuilt gearbox (30.000 km) for about 200 Euro.

I hope to replace the gearbox in 1 weekend. Is that do-able you think?

Richard

Reply to
OKOK!

Nah, that'll be the piston rewind tool. This one comes second.

Reply to
Grunff

How about the "Swedish swearwords booklet"? Or doesnt that count as a "tool"?

Richard.

Reply to
OKOK!

No problem. By the way, you're not actually running everyday user process stuff as root, are you?

Always a good intention. Rarely works completely, but ...

Pinion bearings maybe. But 200 Euro for a good one is a great deal.

If that's all you find when you're in there, yes. If you can lift the car, and drop the transmission out the bottom, that could speed things considerably. Saab sells a special tool which spans the wheel arches and suspends the engine, lets you take the tranny out the bottom. Personally, getting at the bolts between the engine and tranny, and disconnecting all the associated stuff, is easier with the car not in the way. In other words, pull the power plant as a unit. A weekend shouldn't be a problem if you have the books, good tools, and some sort of way to hoist the sucker out of there.

I've got some photos of me doing roughly what you're talking about, it's on a 99 Turbo but mechanically it's mostly the same:

Hope some of this helps, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A what? Another "special tool"? :-)

Didnt know it was possible from the bottom, looks like an eery tight fit..... I assume the "bar" under the engne IS removable then? Will probably remove the engine completely though.

I read that a few times already.... really helpful! Need to get the engine out of my 99 at some point too ... :-( (Broke the gears on the oilpump-shaft lately)

But the 900 needs attention first.

Thanks again, Richard.

Reply to
OKOK!

Ah, yes, that. Well, I made one for that, but yes. No good way to do that job without same.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It's a piece of square stock, and cushions to go on the wheel arches. Picture of it in the front of the manual, I'd expect.

Helps to have a car hoist. I don't. Bolts are still a bitch to get out.

Probably best.

Ah, on the countershaft on the B-engine. Ouch. Do I want to ask how that happened, or would you rather not talk about it?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Zie ook

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

Ehm.... ahem.

I'll get the tool. Thanks Dave! ;-)

R.