have a set of Ronal Minilite's now (nice black-painted ones!).

Hi everyone,

I have acquired a set of Saab's version of the Ronal Minilite wheels (ie. the Carroll Shellby's), and am looking at tyres to go with the wheels when I'm ready to put them onto my 1982/83 900S.

I know that choice of tyre, etc. varies greatly depending where you are in the world and what the climate is like from season to season if you need to change wheels to suit the season (ie. snow, etc. which most of Australia doesn't get), but what are your individual preferences for tyres? Particularly those of you who have Minilite's on your car(s)? 8-)

I'm looking at Goodyear Eagle F1's, or something similar from Dunlop. Not sure if Dunlop tyres are sold in the US or Europe though. Something which complements the sports nature of the Minilite's is what I'm aiming for. The car is not lowered so low-profile tyres aren't really going to suit.

My current wheels are stock ones which are fitted with really nice Sime SM-800's.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's C900 Site

Dunlops are popular here (USA). I like Michelins except when it rains (some will argue that they are past those problems but some still argue the other side even with newer Mich's, so make your own choice). I'm not really fond of Goodyear. Lately Continental has been making some nice tires at very reasonable prices.

Even if you can't order from them,

is a good place to read reviews of specific tires by buyers. Find a tire, click "Reviews", check the summary chart as well as the individual comments.

Reply to
Retro Bob

Our Mitsibishi L300 van has Continental tyres but I'm sure they're re-treads so they don't have the original tread moulding anymore. 8-)

Thanks for the tip Bob. I have visited the Tirerack site before, though as you say it's difficult to justify ordering from them once shipping to Australia makes anything more pricey than buying via a local dealer. We don't have anything quite like it here in Australia (much smaller market I suppose), but I'll definitely check the reviews out some more.

I like Dunlop because they used to be a wholly Australian company. 8-) Not really anymore but they still have a strong local presence here through motor racing connections.

My tax refund cheque should clear in a few days then it's off to find tyres. We have one really good tyre place that I know of from past experience called

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick

Got Goodyear F-1s on my 1996 9000 Aero and are quite happy with them in the wet and dry. About $200 each here in NZ and the tyres are made in Germany.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

I had Pirelli P6000's recommended to me but at A$175 per tyre that's a bit out of my price range at this time of year. 8-) I opted for Hancook 406's (at A$115 each) which have gone onto the car today as it happens along with the Minilite's. The new wheels definitely go a long way to transforming the appearance of the car!

The old wheels (with Simex SM800's) will now become spares but I'll probably put them on the other going C900 I'm fixing up (1985 900i) since that car is going to be sold once it's repaired enough.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick